solder head tank on vehicle?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
My radiator's head tank leaks.

Do I have to drain it below the repair point before I go to town on it or can I get it hot enough with coolant in there?

I've done repairs on empty radiators, but not full.

I was able to tap the seam with a hammer and the leak is ALMOST gone, but not quite. I want to solder about a 5 inch section of the tank seam front and center. (easy to reach)

Thanks!
-Spanky

Beater

Hard Core 4+
you would really need to braze it. Solder won't hold. If you have it out, I can do it for you, but I can't guarantee my work, as I won't be able to dip it to clean the inside, and perfectly seal it.

On of the best in the region is Denver Radiator on arapahoe and park ave downtown.

I am sure my repair would hold for a few seasons though...

j

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Liquid on the inside will hold the temperature to 220* more or less (slightly less at this altitude). No workee. Personally I have found that by the time galvanic action has deteriorated a Toyota radiator seam, pinhole leaks are close at hand and for what a new Web radiator costs I am better off replacing it. YMMV.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Huh - solder won't hold? I have repaired several FJ40 tanks and my '58 Massey Ferguson tank with plumbing solder and acid core flux. There's definitely some technique to it, as too much heat will just cause it to run off on the floor. The last guy that brazed my tractor radiator made a horrible mess of it, and I melted off his globs of brazing rod with an acetylene torch and then repaired it with solder. YMMV. I had a radiator shop repair the top tank of an FJ40 radiator (from a rollover) with solder and he must have soldered 15 holes shut. Too bad there were 16 holes - I found the last one.

I agree that by the time an FJ radiator is 30-some years old, it may just be time to install a new one. Recently, I bought a 4 core 'heavy duty' (Which means equiv. to what Toyota put in there) radiator for $200 on the Internet, and it seems to be working fine, so that's another option.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok, let me put it this way... solder is way soft, and I wouldn't put it in mine. I would braze with a silicon bronze rod. But that is just me.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
ok, let me put it this way... solder is way soft, and I wouldn't put it in mine. I would braze with a silicon bronze rod. But that is just me.

radiators are usually soldered. I have fixed a couple on the trail now and solder is easy and permanent.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
radiators are usually soldered. I have fixed a couple on the trail now and solder is easy and permanent.

like I said, that' just me....