• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

So you might want to lead a trail, but have some concerns

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
The purpose of this thread is to give potential trail leaders the information they need to address the concerns they have about being a trail leader.

I personally recall my hesitation when Cheeseman told me it was time to step up and lead a trail. What? Me? I've never done that before. I don't know the first thing about it. I'm not nearly as good as guys like Cheeseman, Royal Rose, and Chris Hatfield!

It turns out that a quick weekend trip out to Moab for some intensive live trail leader training addressed my concerns and gave me the framework I needed to build myself up into a confident trail leader. I hope this forum and thread will help hesitant leaders gain the confidence and skills needed to step up and lead a trail.

I tell ya what. Being a trail leader really isn't that hard. First of all, it is a lot like running the trail as a regular participant except…You are in front.
Sure there is a little paperwork to do and a little speech at the beginning, and you kinda need to know where you are and how to get home on time…But there isn’t much more than that for the majority of the trip!

If you know how to get through the trail and you are willing to help others get through the trail, you are 90% of a trail leader already.

What are your concerns about signing up to lead a trail?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I want to second Steve in saying that being a trail leader was a blast, and if I can make it to Moab again someday I will not hesitate to be one again!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

Top perk right there! :thumb::thumb: Trail leading is hardly any different than going out on your own and running a trail! You have the support from your gunners so if you get confused your followers rarely know. When you stand on your soap box your gunners again back you up and make sure all the waivers are signed. It is a very rewarding, easy and fun thing to do! If I'm in a group, as many know, I always prefer to lead or tail gun. It truly is the best part of the group experience!

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
The views are better from the front!

Lead a group out and back with a positive attitude and confidence and you receive a "bit of Moab rock star status" from the CM attendees on your run, priceless.:thumb:

wesintl

RS Moderator
possibly the #1 reason you want to be a leader.. If I have to lead the trail you'll smell diesel alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
possibly the #1 reason you want to be a leader.. If I have to lead the trail you'll smell diesel alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

You and Barry should lead/gun just in case the wind shifts!:eek:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Don't come back after a trail run looking like this...
BlackLung.jpg

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I found leading trails on Thursday to be much more difficult than the following 2 days. If you have never been leader, pick a Friday or Sat trail to lead. For many people at CM. It is their fist time wheeling in Moab. A day behind the wheel makes a huge difference.

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Don't feel you have to be the only one who knows what to do. There are usually other drivers who are extremely competent both in ability and vehicle. Use them to your advantage.

Try your first trail in a situation where you are leading these types of people. Get your confidence up with experienced people then go to leading others who may have less experience or a lesser vehicle. They will help you get your feet on the ground.

Talk to all drivers individually as much as you can. Seek them out at different times of the day to see how they are going. Ask them how others are doing in the group. Communication and information are great tools to use for the success of the day.