• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Snow Run Investigation 2/17

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well I had a kick in the pants run yesterday - I think it's the most fun I've had since this trip in October 2006.

Since it didn't sound like anybody else was going to make it I was slow getting going and rolled into Georgetown at about 8:32. I aired down to 12 psi (the lowest I'd previously done was 15 psi) I went rolling. Boy does the enigne have to work harder to get those tires rolling up some of those hills! I can see why guys throw 350s in their trucks once they go to those bigger tire sizes! The steering was also a workout the entire day, but c'est la vie for the time being...at least I didn't break a rag joint :rolleyes:

I first wanted to get the skinny on Guanella Pass. They still plow up to the Silver Dollar Lake trailhead, but there is a 15' high pile of snow in the way so you can't go up to the pass :rant: - but at least they don't stop at the power plant as rumor had it.

I then went back down and made it about 100 yards up Argentine Pass. I probably should have tried the chains to see what difference it would make, if any, but I just didn't feel like doing all that. I had to dig myself out a couple times and called it good.

So then I backed down and took a quick tour through Georgetown - pretty neat little town with a nice park for kids if anybody wants to take a Saturday afternoon drive up into the mountains.

Then I checked out Saxon Road, which I knew there was a gate on so I wasn't expecting to get anywhere. But it was THE MOST fun of the whole day! Every switchback seemed to have deeper snow, so I was honing my snowdrift-bustin' skillz! Gentle taps to test the conditions, then full throttle! Tried 1st high, 2nd low, 1st low on the steep stuff, it was a blast to hear that engine get wrapped up and maintain! I got pretty high up the hill, almost to where the trees blank out on that hillside, but was having a little trouble with one section on a ledge and decided not to push it. I think this road has good possibilities for a smaller group - 5 trucks max. The gate at the bottom is always open, a local told me, so that's good. A lot of it is windblown and it's west facing, and if we can get to the top I imagine there's bigger deeper drifts etc.

I thought about going up towards the Grays Peak trailhead, but I figured with my low air pressure it would be a struggle to get up the interstate and since it's higher the snow would probably be deeper. Another day perhaps.

I checked out the ice racing on the lake, but no registration people were around so I couldn't ask any questions. Looks fun though!

Thought about Jones Pass, but didn't want to disturb any of the backcountry skiers and boarders, plus figured there would be a lot of snow. Also thought about Bill Moore Lake, but I know there is a lot of snow up there and I'm pretty sure that there's no gate.

Drove by Spring Creek and was tempted to go up the first section, but decided against it. I imagine you could probably go up to where the sign for the MHJC is (I personally would not go past that), but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Maybe worth checking out sometime.

Headed back up to Alice, saw York Gulch and was tempted to turn off but didn't. Also say another gulch (Hayes?) further up, but that will have to wait until another time. It looks to me like Kingston Peak and Yankee Hill are not accessible from the back side this time of year, there was SO MUCH SNOW in Alice and St. Marys it was ridiculous. I found the turnoff for Loch Lamond but a *EEP was parked right on the middle of the road! :rant: Oh well, I wasn't planning on going down that road anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I might've had to winch him into a snowdrift to get him out of the way if I had been ;)

Didn't have time to check out Lamartine, and I was getting pretty beat up from all the driving up to that point, but I did head up the road past Indian Hot Springs where during the summer there's a forest road system that's open - good stockish forest driving, I'd say good for an afternoon family picnic. There's a gate in the winter though that's closed. But before you get to that road there's a turnoff for Stevens Creek - I think it's the road I almost rolled my truck on a couple years ago because I slid backwards on ice into a ditch - I always wondered where it went and if I wasn't getting low on fuel I would've tried harder to push all the way to the end - again perfect snow depth for me, and a small ditch on one side that I had an interesting time getting sucked into and then having to get out of. It goes past some summer cabins but looks deserted in the wintertime. Again good old engine-roaring, exhaust-a-flowin', tire-spinning, and snow-flyin' fun!

Someday I'll hopefully be able to get pictures off my camera again, but for now use your imagination!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like you had a full day of fun...... I would have loved to join you but work calls and OT is always good, maybe next time.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like you had a good day. :thumb:

I have a couple of extra USB photocard readers, what kind of card does your camera use? Memory stick, compact flash..?

We Need Pics!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the offer Martin - I don't know, I'll have to check tonight. We'll have to talk about meeting somewhere, maybe tomorrow?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Nice work and good fun. I hate the feeling you get when your looking at busting through a drift by yourself when there is no-one around to strap you backwards. I turn into a complete pansy.

Sounds like Saxton Mtn. could be a good club run huh?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Saxon Mtn. could be fun for a small group. Because it's on somewhat of a shelf road, and because I couldn't get a little higher into some of the trees where I imagine more snow is held, I would like to try getting up there with a group of no more than 5 or so, preferably with bigger tires, and take a little harder look at it. Same goes from the Lamartine side, I know in some places the snow can get really deep, but it seems for the most part it's lower than say Yankee Hill so the likelihood of being able to make SOME headway, even when YH snow is deep (like the last couple of years) is high. Problem is I'm not sure very many people in the club are familiar with that area much. I'm not.

Still want to try Castle Gulch and/or Switzerland or Bunce School Rd. before the winter is over, so maybe we can get some Northsiders to represent!

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Let me know when you want to do Castle Gulch. I know the south end of Bunce is gated for the season - not sure if the north end is open.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, so my camera's memory card looks like a mini floppy disk - it's rectangular, about 1" x 1 1/4" x 3/32" thick, says "X digital media" on it, 512 MB, secure digital.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Okay, so my camera's memory card looks like a mini floppy disk - it's rectangular, about 1" x 1 1/4" x 3/32" thick, says "X digital media" on it, 512 MB, secure digital.

Sounds like you have SD memory. Unfortunately my readers are Compact flash, Memory Stick and Smart Media. SD is one of the most common types of camera media, so you should be able to buy a reader at someplace like Best Buy for under $20.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

I didn't see this before or I would have brought and given you a reader last night. Most newer laptops have an SD reader and nearly all newer desktops do too. I have a couple readers that have not been used is a couple years. They are very cheap to buy and you can get them nearly anywhere.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Finally here's some pictures:
1. Road as I was driving up Clear Creek - was anticipating a cold day!
2. But it cleared up pretty fast
3. Aired down and ready to go
4. Road up to Guanella.
5. End of the road at Silver Dollar Lake Turnoff.

Attachments

• HPIM3121.jpg
    HPIM3121.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 214
  • HPIM3122.jpg
    HPIM3122.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 214
  • HPIM3123.jpg
    HPIM3123.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 579
  • HPIM3124.jpg
    HPIM3124.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 217
  • HPIM3126.jpg
    HPIM3126.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 512

subzali

Hard Core 4+
1. Another shot - looking better all the time! :thumb:
2. Yep - Road is Closed.
3. Gettin' stuck on Argentine (didn't even get to the first switchback)
4. Yep
5. Saxon Road - this is my first stuck, nice little snowdrift. This would have been brutal except for the sugar snow didn't consolidate like last spring.

Attachments

• HPIM3130.jpg
    HPIM3130.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 505
  • HPIM3129.jpg
    HPIM3129.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 453
  • HPIM3128.jpg
    HPIM3128.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 516
  • HPIM3127.jpg
    HPIM3127.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,523
  • HPIM3131.jpg
    HPIM3131.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 214

subzali

Hard Core 4+
1. Another shot of the drift
2. The farthest I got, that tree was getting mighty close and so was the edge. I was pretty tired of fighting the steering wheel so I called it a trip. Would be interested in seeing how much further we can get with bigger trucks.
3. This is looking the opposite direction from the same spot, so you can see I was pretty high above G-town.
4. Looking up from the same spot, you can see the shelf road up higher.
5. This was a fun switchback, had to fight for a while to get through it as it was pretty steep and the snow was deep. I like the white wagon wheel look :hill:

Attachments

• HPIM3138.jpg
    HPIM3138.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3,411
  • HPIM3136.jpg
    HPIM3136.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 214
  • HPIM3135.jpg
    HPIM3135.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 223
  • HPIM3134.jpg
    HPIM3134.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 217
  • HPIM3132.jpg
    HPIM3132.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,741

subzali

Hard Core 4+
1. Nice blue bird day, this is back at the first drift I got stuck in.
2. This section took a few tries too, I got a lot of practice with high speed hits and low speed chugs to try and get through this stuff.
3. Cruisin' through the woods
4. This, near the bottom, almost stopped me, because it was rutted and I kept getting in the ruts. I finally hit it on the right side and made it through, was so glad I did because there was a lot of fun to be had later in the freshies!
5. Gate near the bottom is always open, according to a local who was walking the road as I came out.

That's it, great day!

Attachments

• HPIM3141.jpg
    HPIM3141.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 213
  • HPIM3142.jpg
    HPIM3142.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 221
  • HPIM3143.jpg
    HPIM3143.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 203
  • HPIM3144.jpg
    HPIM3144.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 213
  • HPIM3146.jpg
    HPIM3146.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 199

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Way to go Matt. Looks like a good little snow run. Except for the shelf road and being by yourself thing. BTDT.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Great pics, Matt! Which truck is yours? Whatever, the silver 40 is looking better all of the time!! Thanks for getting out there and checking things out.