• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Small Trailer Talk

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I think at this point I'm going to build my own, likely based somewhat on a combination of designs. Am digging around to see what plans I can find (if any) before I jump in. My wife is a CAD designer so we will see if she has time for this project or if I go pen and paper on it.

I am also torn on buying a registered rolling chassis and updating/modifying it, or starting from scratch and getting a home built title. Suppose that either way I go will require re-titling.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I think at this point I'm going to build my own, likely based somewhat on a combination of designs. Am digging around to see what plans I can find (if any) before I jump in. My wife is a CAD designer so we will see if she has time for this project or if I go pen and paper on it.

I am also torn on buying a registered rolling chassis and updating/modifying it, or starting from scratch and getting a home built title. Suppose that either way I go will require re-titling.
IMHO, if you are able to wait and find a good deal, you're definitely better off finding a rolling chassis if your overall design can accept it. Used 5x8, and 5x10 utility trailers come up for sale all the time and you can generally find something in good shape that would be cheaper than building your own.

That being said, the scrap piles in the local metal yards usually have a good assortment of the material you would be looking for to build your own. This would also require some patience and probably multiple trips to get everything you need but you would be buying it by the pound instead of list price. It is around $.90/pound right now and goes down the more you buy.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
IMHO, if you are able to wait and find a good deal, you're definitely better off finding a rolling chassis if your overall design can accept it. Used 5x8, and 5x10 utility trailers come up for sale all the time and you can generally find something in good shape that would be cheaper than building your own.

That being said, the scrap piles in the local metal yards usually have a good assortment of the material you would be looking for to build your own. This would also require some patience and probably multiple trips to get everything you need but you would be buying it by the pound instead of list price. It is around $.90/pound right now and goes down the more you buy.

Thanks for the advice! I actually have my eyes on two trailers and am going to look at them this week.

Here is a question for everyone that I still can't find an answer to:

If I buy a utility trailer, but turn it into a different trailer (with onboard water, solar, etc.) Does it need to be reclassified and re-registered?

I spoke with my auto insurance company yesterday and the gist was, a commercially available camper can be insured with an RV policy. A trailer like I am planning to build would be covered by my auto policy's liability coverage but not insured against a collision, so I need to be ok with losing the full value.

What do folks do for insurance on the more expensive campers that you purchased? Especially those who rent them out?

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the advice! I actually have my eyes on two trailers and am going to look at them this week.

Here is a question for everyone that I still can't find an answer to:

If I buy a utility trailer, but turn it into a different trailer (with onboard water, solar, etc.) Does it need to be reclassified and re-registered?

I spoke with my auto insurance company yesterday and the gist was, a commercially available camper can be insured with an RV policy. A trailer like I am planning to build would be covered by my auto policy's liability coverage but not insured against a collision, so I need to be ok with losing the full value.

What do folks do for insurance on the more expensive campers that you purchased? Especially those who rent them out?
I have a state farm policy on the conqueror that covers everything including collision. About $20 a month.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
One thing to consider is when you are towing, your auto policy covers your trailer if you cause damage to others and if you have it stored at home in the garage, your homeowners covers it.

Not sure about Auto covering damage to the trailer, but guessing not likely

The policy on my Karavan was outrageous, more than 1 of my vehicles so I canceled it in fall of 2019 and since I didnt take it out in 2020, I didnt look to get another one. Having Insurance on the trailer is better, but not required from my view. I likely will look at getting another policy next spring. Hopefully I can find a more reasonable rate. Progressive wanted $900 for a year