• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

sm420 nose cone HELP

repost from mud

Since I had my cage out i decided to yank my tranny and put a new seal in the output cause it leaked something fierce. Easy enough should be a 2 hour job, NOT. Turns out my nose cone is not machined for a seal, but the input shaft is, mismatched parts Anyone in Denver have a 420 nose cone?

Also will a 3 speed cone work with a little work? I vaguely recall that being an option. Need this like today, need to get my truck smogged but I may just put it together enough to drive, and but I do have to have it together Monday cause that is when i'm rolling to Moab.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Zack, I do not remember but I think a 465 retainer will work. Make sure your 420 does without a doubt have a sealing surface on the input instead of threads. If you think it leaks now put a rubber seal on a threaded shaft and watch it pour! If it is the threaded shaft then just go to a tranny shop that works on trucks and get the packing you need.

it dosn't have the treaded shaft that slings the oil back in, 465 crossed my mind, I dont' have one of those lying around either :( 3speed cone looks like a lot of work to get it to work, dosn't look like there is enough material to machine out a recess for a seal in the 420 nose cone. I think i'm going to throw it together tonight and get it smogged and wait on the cage and if I come up with the correct nose cone from somone drop it. Its dosn't leak THAT bad. just on down hills, maybe I'll plug the hole in the clutch cover and drain it in a cup once in a while :hill:

pics

nosecone.JPG

tranny.JPG

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
Zach - I would try to find a 465/420 nose cone somewhere in a yard this weekend and get that thing to seal properly. As you know, there are a lot of looooong steep downhill sections in Moab, so the ol' clutch-cover-catch-tank method might get a little out of hand in a short period of time :hill:

wesintl

RS Moderator
http://car-part.com/ might help you locate an sm420 in the yard. It doesn't work if the yard isn't computerized though.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Oh Mr. Zack....

Went by the shop (crap starage facility) to look for Isotels gears and found in my 420 spare parts pile this.......

Attachments

• 420-retainer.jpg
    420-retainer.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 185
any chance I can purchase said nose cone from you Kevin, think :beer: of choice? $$? I"m feeling very desprite at the moment.

:eek: :bowdown:

pm me your digits :)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
bustanutley said:
any chance I can purchase said nose cone from you Kevin, think :beer: of choice? $$? I"m feeling very desprite at the moment.

:eek: :bowdown:

pm me your digits :)

Nope...just teasin' good luck! :lmao: :lmao:
moon.gif

PM sent..... ;)