Slaughterhouse 19 March?

Anyone interested in going to Slaughterhouse on the 19th? A friend of mine from work has never been wheeling and I figured that Slaughterhouse may be a good place to start. She has a stock Xterra and wants to exercise it a bit, but not too much. Any takers?

Thx!
Chris

I'm interested. I really like Slaughterhouse. Its in my old neck of the woods. Maybe I can talk my dad into bringing his super charged Xterra. Probably not though. This would be my first rising sun event :fing:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
might be interested...haven't been there in a while.

My friend is totally geeked to go. She's owned the X since 2000, and it's never been off road. I don't think it's even been in 4 low. Another friend at work may go too, he's got a stock Chevy truck. Hope some other folks will go too. Should be a good way to get rid of some of the cobwebs that have been building up over the winter...

Chris

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
hell, ive never been there. and i think this might be a good oportuinity for a first time wheeling experieence with me and my dad

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
74fj40 said:
hell, ive never been there. and i think this might be a good oportuinity for a first time wheeling experieence with me and my dad

Great trail for just starting out. It's not too easy -- 'tain't a gravel road -- but not so hard that you'll be scared to drive it either.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
It all depends on the amount of snow. I saw photos from earlier this season (Matt maybe?) where it looked practcally down to the dirt. I was on a January run on it one year where only a few made it up stump hill. Obviously that's closed now, but Rob Merideth was the only one who made it without chains or winching. Scott Yoder made it with chains, I made it with winching. In any case, we then ran it clockwise, instead of the usual CCW, and barely made it up to the barb wire fence at the top. We decided not to risk going down to the meadow because we may not have been able to get back up. The snow was a couple feet deep that day, more than half way up tires.

Would like to go as well. Newbie here, and new at wheeling. Would a stock 100 work out allright? Where do you all meet at?

Dave

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The trail is a couple miles West of US 285, past Pine Junction but before Bailey. The turnoff is just before the top of Crow Hill. One of the nice things about this trail is that the trailhead isn't too far of a drive from the metro area.

We traditionally meet at the "Ugly Hotdog" (AKA Coney Island), however we may need to find a new spot: Click here for local news story.

A 100 should do fine, as long as a few scratches from tree branches are okay. As I mentioned previously in this thread, the amount of snow on the trail will make all the difference as to how difficult the trail is. With no or only a little snow, it's a pretty easy trail for any stock Toyota 4x4. With a lot of snow it might be limited to playing around some but not being able to do the whole trail. The trail runs in a loop.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I was up in that area last weekend, everything was dry just like in January. I don't how much of this snow is going to stick, but I guess it's still a couple weeks away so whatever accumulates will probably be gone.

Well, my friend with the Xterra needs to reschedule. I don't think the weather is going to cooperate either looking at the forecast...looks like another snowy weekend. I'll still go up there if anyone else wants to try it, but I'd prefer to reschedule...let me know.

Thx!
Chris

Works for me.

Chris

I will actually be about 2 miles from slaughterhouse on Sunday. My sister in law lives on the way to the trail and the wife and I will be up there visiting. I will let everyone know if the weather is bad or we wussed out.

chasing the hot dog to Bailey....

I ran on up there Saturday afternoon trying to follow the hot dog restaurant as it was moved from Aspen Park and over Crow Hill and down into Bailey-but as usual was running late and never did catch up to it travelling south on US285.

After turning right (to go north) at the Loaf and Jug on the long hillclimb approach to Crow Hill- I followed the County Road 43 north and east as it crosses over Deer Creek. Watch for the "Rising Sun" road on your left (west) and take the next left on Singletree or Snaggletree (something like that) Forest Road 101 takes off to the west and will meet up with the Slaughterhouse Gulch loop, and I believe there is a loop off the loop as well.

Being a loop of course you will have to return the way you came. Several of the intersections look very similar. When ascending, in general,stay right to follow the main road, observe the closed off areas where others have destroyed the hillsides...

Plan ahead and leave plenty of daylight. I did not and started to regret it as darkness approached. This trail seems well suited to your friend's stock Xterra (when the trail is dry!!!) as my 95 esssentially stock 4Runner encountered just a few areas where I was wishing for my 99 and it's locking rear. Overall it was a fun trail and driven slowly I never even knocked into my new All Pro Rock Guards, not a scratch yet dang it....A light snow started to fall but the blizzard held off until Sunday, otherwise I might still be unpuckering. Good area to take dogs and mine enjoyed a few snow romps while traveling through.

Let me know when the group is game to take this on, I would hold off until it drys out in May or so Of course I fear the body damage likely kind of trails you guys seem to relish in....those of you with lockers and lifts might find it a piece of cake-it's all relative. There are a number of spots where the "preferred line" will take you very close to a single tree that will conspire with the rocks underfoot to move you slow closely as to remove a mirror or crease a body panel-but that's why it was some fun!!

Thanks Jeff (I think it was) for the basics of the directions so I could explore the area and find my way to Slaughterhouse Gulch

Thanks for the report, Ron. I'll be in Florida 5-11 April, so I'll probably reschedule with my work buddy for shortly after I get back.

Chris