• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Side entrance fence and gate for newly renovated property

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Howdy all! Been another crazy busy year for the business. Having more work than I can sanely handle seems to be what I enjoy. But being busy means there isn't much time to highlight any of the fun projects I have been able to be a part of. So I figured I would try to take the time to document one of the smaller projects I am currently working on. I can always count on at least a few of my mountain scene gates being ordered each year. Here is an example of one at my property:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well this year has seen more of them ordered than ever before. Each one is unique and usually only the gate features a mountain scene. But this client also wanted a mountain scene made for the small fence panel that they needed in addition to the gate. They also required an area on the side of the fence to be a wire grid so their dogs could easily see out. The other necessities included greaseable hinges and a keyless lock set. Got started by digging past frost depth to set the main posts into concrete. The design I came up with called for 4 total posts. But the area between the sidewalk and the existing fence, had a french drain system buried next to the sidewalk so only 3 posts were able to be set into concrete. In order to get a 4th post, I welded a cross bar in between the post and the sidewalk and then anchored that cross bar to the concrete. The built up off the cross bar to create the 4th post and tied the tops of the two posts together. Then tied them into the existing fence.

3 posts set up waiting for concrete to cure:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cross bar anchored to concrete:

attachment.php

2 posts tied into each other, the concrete, and the existing fence. This small section created will get the wire grid for the puppy viewing area:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then put the top rail onto the other 2 posts for the new fence section:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Cut some brackets for the wood cross members:

attachment.php

Welded them into position:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then got started on a box for the lock set. Couldn't find an off the shelf option for a box as most are only made for keyed lock sets and/or only made for 1.5" wide gates/doors. Here is an example of an off the shelf box:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I fabbed up a new box that was only 1.5" wide to accommodate the lock set internals, then outlined the box with 3" flat stock to create the new box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
We stock 2 main style of gate hinges, greaseable barrel style:

attachment.php

Or standard non greaseable

attachment.php

Both work well and can handle WAY more weight than the gate will ever see. In this case, the clients' chose to go with the greaseable hinges.

Also got the mechanical, keyless lock set in.

attachment.php

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Hung the gate:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Welded the mountain scene into the fence panel:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then hung the wood panel onto the gate:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hung the wood cross members for the fence section and then added pickets to it. Table saw quit on me so i have a board left to put up once trimmed to fit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dig it, thanks for sharing the fab work!

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Using a standard door lock set requires the gate and the catch be fairly close and there is limited vertical travel allowed in order to keep the lock set and catch properly aligned. This means any sag out of the gate could become problematic. To solve this before it could become an issue, we fabricated a rest for the bottom of the gate. The rest will always keep the lock set and the catch aligned. Also incorporated a slight ramp leading up to the rest, to help guide the would be sagging gate into the correct position. The top of the rest and ramp was drilled and tapped and then is topped with HPDE for a smooth, non marring, sliding surface that is secured with countersunk hardware. Then welded it into position on the cross member below the gate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also fabricated the custom wire grid for the puppy viewing area and welded it into place

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Added the missing lumber to the fence section.

attachment.php

For another anti sag measure, the fence panel was tied into the house for addition support.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the last detail to be added was a rubberized stop. A modified off the self stop was used. Here is how the stop arrived:

attachment.php

The rubber is a replaceable wear item

attachment.php

attachment.php

The head was removed and the only part used. Welded it into position between the fence panel and the gate. This will keep the gate from ever swinging into the house or gutter

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Besides getting coated, which the painters are coming out soon, this project is wrapped up. Although was asked about adding another post and more wire grid in line with the gate to act as a lattice of future plants. So there may be yet another phase to this project in the near future.

Street view:

attachment.php

Front views:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Side views:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With opened gate:

attachment.php

From the rear:

attachment.php

Thanks for checking out this fun project! Will try to stop back by after it is coated for some "finished" photos.

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Excellent work! Makes me want to find someplace for you to put in a gate / fence here!

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Besides getting coated, which the painters are coming out soon, this project is wrapped up. Although was asked about adding another post and more wire grid in line with the gate to act as a lattice of future plants. So there may be yet another phase to this project in the near future.

Thanks for checking out this fun project! Will try to stop back by after it is coated for some "finished" photos.

Speaking of another stage to this build...

Took a little bit but I got a couple photos of it painted. Owners decided not to paint the snow caps white as they liked the look with everything the same color.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The owners' 1 year old puppy, Otis, playing supervisor. FYI- his but is on the ground in these photos. He is just over 140 pounds and still growing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The property owners decided to replace their old chain link fence in their front yard with a new custom wooden one. They asked that I add another post and top rail to help secure and tie the wooden fence into the metal framed entrance. So I primed and painted the bottom of another post and set it into concrete, and then waited for the fence company to do their magic. They built the new fence and left the last post "floating" for me to make and install some brackets to hold it into position. I then added a top crossbar and some wire mesh to finish it off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Depending on weather, the painters should be able to get everything painted late next week early the following. When that happens I will hopefully be able to stop by and get some actual "finished" photos.