• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

side accessory panel

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Curious if anyone is running one of these? I had a customer ask me about this today... I guess I've seen them before but hadn't given much though to it, here is one example:

C3E9A3BF-3A41-4403-8EE3-B5E89CEE99CF_2048x.jpg

There's a hinge attachment on the rack side, and it uses a suction cup to stick to the window. Seems like a really great way to bust the window, am I missing something here? And also make that window inoperable. Or maybe I'm not seeing the benefit... would anyone want one of these?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
i like the look, but it just looks like something to get hung up on tree branches, bust out the window, and make it impossible for people to see my fun stickers on the back glass.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Maybe its going for the Land Rover look? I figure if you can't fit stuff inside or on the roof rack, you've got too much stuff.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I would not want one for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Aside from overlanders looking to add crap to their truck just for the sake of adding it, I don't see the benefit. It looks like it's really just a complicated way to mount additional RotoPax on your rig, and I'm not sure I'd be super comfortable mounting gas cans outside of a window. 🤷‍♂️

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I will say that it is more useful than the fake hood scoop but if it was on my 4runner it would get used just as much as the scoop.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I don't get it either. Visibility is already kinda crappy in those runners.:confused:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There's a hinge attachment on the rack side, and it uses a suction cup to stick to the window. Seems like a really great way to bust the window, am I missing something here? And also make that window inoperable.
On the 4Runner aren't those windows fixed and solid? You wouldn't be losing any opening or sliding functionality.

I can't add any opinion beyond what's been said. All the farkle on the outside of trucks seem to me mostly about Overland™ mall cred.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If you want real cred those JDM 4Runner Surf mini mirrors are supposed to go way out on the fenders.

Toyota_Hilux_Surf_180_351.jpg

Not that they wouldn't be useful in all honesty. Visibility is terrible out of vehicles anymore, what with the huge pillars and small windows they have now.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If you want real cred those JDM 4Runner Surf mini mirrors are supposed to go way out on the fenders.

View attachment 99175

Not that they wouldn't be useful in all honesty. Visibility is terrible out of vehicles anymore, what with the huge pillars and small windows they have now.
That has the same body as the 3rd gen 4runner and the A pillar is not too bad.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
That has the same body as the 3rd gen 4runner and the A pillar is not too bad.
Yup, oh to go back to the way we were two whole generations ago.

My truck's A pillars are brutal and I don't even have airbags in them like newer trucks, where they got even more extra width.

OTOH if I was ever to put my truck on its lid the roof wouldn't collapse, folding me in half like it would have done on the old truck with it's toothpicks at the corners.

So I dunno, you takes yer good with yer bad I suppose.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Yup, oh to go back to the way we were two whole generations ago.

My truck's A pillars are brutal and I don't even have airbags in them like newer trucks, where they got even more extra width.

OTOH if I was ever to put my truck on its lid the roof wouldn't collapse, folding me in half like it would have done on the old truck with it's toothpicks at the corners.

So I dunno, you takes yer good with yer bad I suppose.
Marshé has a 2011 RX450h with massive A pillars. They put a little triangle window in it forward of the mirrors which surprisingly give a good view of your corners when turning.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I just keep thinking about the places I find myself... like the Squeeze near Devil's Kitchen that Phillip posted...
01ff9516fd7561a07a4350ed833df185d3821bcf26-jpg.92941

I have done that in both an 80 and a 100 without folding in the mirrors... I hear that's next to impossible on the 200 though. And one could argue that the gas can doesn't stick out as far as a mirror, so if mirror made it should be good right? Still, you better hope the lasts guy stacked the rocks evenly on both sides because if that back tire falls down into a hole they're going to hear hear you yelling "F@$K!" all the way back at the Needle's visitor's center.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Oh yeah, right there! nice pic Dave! Mirror folded in and everything... I'm guessing that's just before or just after the spot where your Wildernest got a little smackin?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Oh yeah, right there! nice pic Dave! Mirror folded in and everything... I'm guessing that's just before or just after the spot where your Wildernest got a little smackin?
I set the 'Nest on the side coming down Little Sluice. It doesn't look like it but there was an sizable exposed tree trunk root that I'm leaning against.

rubithon_34_mid.jpg

I want to say that squeeze was somewhere else. Maybe even the first day but my memory is vague. Being in a narrow mini truck it wasn't notable. :) So maybe someone's got more recent intel or a better recollection to say.