• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Wanted Shop Space with 3-phase Powa

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Done some searching online, but not really sure where is a good place to look and what is click-bait.

25x25ish would be ample, bigger isn't really better unless it comes with a discount on rent at this point. Would prefer close to home, but really any affordable location within an hour drive would be considerable.

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
3 phase 208, 230, 480?? Which do you need and how many amp service?

They are hard to find now because usually buildings with a good 400 +amp service gets scooped up from the pot growers.

I can ask around, we do a-lot of industrial service

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Not sure what would be more ideal voltage wise, also not sure on amperage.

Would be for CNC mill/lathe, and as I understand it they all have a pretty narrow band they operate in. Converter to ramp up, converter to ramp down?

Particular machine I am looking at states this:
1642726985273.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not sure what would be more ideal voltage wise, also not sure on amperage.

Would be for CNC mill/lathe, and as I understand it they all have a pretty narrow band they operate in. Converter to ramp up, converter to ramp down?

Particular machine I am looking at states this:
View attachment 101234
It doesn't give you voltages? It would say something like 480Y/277Δ or 208-230/460 or similar. How old is it? If it's something relatively new it's probably safe for a range of supplies but you should budget in maybe still needing a transformer just in case. Based on 7.1kW and F.L.C. of 20 amps I'd suspect maybe it's a 460V motor, 10HP.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Thanks. I would guess 300amp, but can only fit so many machines in 500sqft.

Not to mention, I do not own any machines at present...

The stuff I found searching around was right around $1/sqft. But they were all 3000+sqft, and that is going to be really difficult to manage. $1000/mo for 1000sqft would be doable and of course $500/mo for 500sqft would be very doable.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
It doesn't give you voltages? It would say something like 480Y/277Δ or 208-230/460 or similar. How old is it? If it's something relatively new it's probably safe for a range of supplies but you should budget in maybe still needing a transformer just in case. Based on 7.1kW and F.L.C. of 20 amps I'd suspect it's a 230V motor, probably 10 HP at 1750 RPM.

Not the quick searches I did to find that. Particular machine is a Citizen A20, but am open to other models. Will look at the tag on the machine at school next week.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not the quick searches I did to find that. Particular machine is a Citizen A20, but am open to other models. Will look at the tag on the machine at school next week.
I did the calculations wrong, I wonder if it might be a 460V motor. But it's also Swiss, right? Are you sure it's even a 60 Hz North American motor?

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Actually, remembered I took a picture of the tag this summer so I could call them for a service issue...

2021-07-13 13.21.35.jpg

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I did the calculations wrong, I wonder if it might be a 460V motor. But it's also Swiss, right? Are you sure it's even a 60 Hz North American motor?

Swiss Lathe, yes. Swiss Made, no. :LOL:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Actually, remembered I took a picture of the tag this summer so I could call them for a service issue...

View attachment 101246
Looks like 9 kVA and F.L.C. 19 amps with AC200V/3φ.

That doesn't make sense, that should be 273V but I don't know global standards to say AC200V actually means 200V line-to-line similar to our 208V wye and I'd have thought the F.L.C. would be around 25 amps. Or for 19A it would be 7kVA.

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Lifted
Where are you looking for space at? I’d like to get some of this equipment out of my garage. My whole setup stores in about 200 sq feet when I’m not working

tancruiser

Trail Ready
We have a high quality phase converter possibly for sale I used it to run our cnc mill without any issues.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Where are you looking for space at? I’d like to get some of this equipment out of my garage. My whole setup stores in about 200 sq feet when I’m not working

In a perfect world? Right out my front door on my property. In a slightly less perfect world in Arvada. In a realistic world, anywhere within ~60 minute drive of 80th and Kipling. I found some potential candidates on showcase.com from $0.80 to 1.25/sqft, but most do not list available power.

We have a high quality phase converter possibly for sale I used it to run our cnc mill without any issues.

Thanks! I am still in the (very) early stages. But as each minute goes by at my current job, I loathe it more and more. So something has to change, so going to start working towards enacting it.

What kind of machine did you have running on it, and what kind of power did you have feeding the converter? Quite the novice at power and converters/transformers/etc.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In a perfect world? Right out my front door on my property. In a slightly less perfect world in Arvada. In a realistic world, anywhere within ~60 minute drive of 80th and Kipling. I found some potential candidates on showcase.com from $0.08 to 1.25/sqft, but most do not list available power.
Aren't you responsible for specific build-out on a space? You might get lucky and the space already has the exact power you need but I'd think you should view it as a bonus if you don't have to change anything.

IMO it would only be a showstopper if you can't get 3Ø at all. That I'd think would be unlikely unless the building is tucked into a residential area or something.

In any case you're limited to what 3Ø Xcel can provide to customers, which in Colorado is one of 4 wire 120/208V or 120/240V or 277/480V.

What it seems like to me is you need to budget for an electrician to install or modify the service (if Xcel is willing to do that) or plan on the purchase of a transformer just for the machine. The nice thing about buying your own point-of-load transformer is then you have it if you want to move to a new space.

Last edited:

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Totally green on all of this. But in reading what you said, it sounds right on the build-out / additional service change.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
If you find something larger that I could store a few vehicals in I maybe down to split rent with you.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Totally green on all of this. But in reading what you said, it sounds right on the build-out / additional service change.
I just moved into a new shop space in an industrial roll-door building and I'm wondering if there are other vacancies. The price is right and it's not terribly far from you. Our unit does not have 3-phase power, but it seems like folks in some of the other units are running big machinery so I wonder if some units have it or the landlord is ok with people getting Xcel to drop new power. PM me and I can give you more details.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member