• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Selling an 80, how much work do I put in beforehand?

coax

Hard Core 4+
All I could use some thoughts as to how much work to put into my 80 before I sell it. Generally in really good shape but I don't have the time to keep doing the required maintenance on it. So I'm going to make one final push to polish up a few things before selling, but having a hard time as to what is "worth it" to do IE will either help sell it quicker/easier and get as close to getting at least my money (if not the time) back.

Things I'm on the fence about:
  • Do I remove the running boards? I liked them for keeping junk off the car, getting to the roof rack, but the DS is damaged from Schofield pass a few years ago, so it looks junky. I'm not in front range mecca anymore so finding replacements would be difficult. Plus I've got the front mud flaps that are meant for the non running board trucks anyway...pull 'em off and then say " included" if you want them/trash? Or leave them on?
  • I've got an extra front axle kit mixed from toyota/cruiser outfittters. Its probably close to due for an overhaul. I'd include the kit (along with all my other junk) if I sold it, but would a typical buyer of an 80 these days want to do themselves or rather have it done when they bought it? I've done these a number of times so could knock it out fairly quickly but its still time spent and would rather not if a buyer wanted to do themselves.
  • Front springs are ome heavies and rears are slee 4" medium. Rears worked great for towing a small travel trailer but there's some stinkbug without a trailer on it. I've still got the OME heavy rears I could put back on but again....a few hrs of work to swap the springs (as I have to remove the delta panhard bracket.
  • Windsheild is cracked. I think I've pretty much decided to replace this as having a new one makes the whole test drive feel better with a super clean windsheild.
Thoughts?

Corey

coax

Hard Core 4+
Bent up runningboard:

runningbd.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'd probably pull the running boards and give it a good clean. A buyer either wants it all done and pays a premium or not done and a discount. The premium buyers will nitpick it all and then have a shop redo it anyway. Windshield is probably a good call and I might not even mention it unless they ask. Wish I had space for a second 80 .....

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Pull the running boards.
New windshield.
Give it a bath and detail.
Post it up for sale

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd maybe try to fix serious safety items that you know about like the windshield but otherwise it's an old truck, what you see is what you get. I try to be honest about it, though.

coax

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback. I'll pull the running boards just to give it a cleaner look. I think I've tackled all the safety items once I get a new windshield installed; It's got new headlights, new steering box, and new brake booster. I'll leave the springs and not worry about the front axle maintenance (other than maybe check grease levels).

Beyond that I'll clean it and just list out everything that I know of that may benefit from some attention.

I'd probably pull the running boards and give it a good clean. A buyer either wants it all done and pays a premium or not done and a discount. The premium buyers will nitpick it all and then have a shop redo it anyway. Windshield is probably a good call and I might not even mention it unless they ask. Wish I had space for a second 80 .....
I think that sums up what I was expecting pretty well. I think I'd rather have less hassle selling and get a bit less $$ vs. trying to get premium dollars. Its pretty well kept/maintained but its also been used a bunch and shows wear of 25 years of use so I don't think it would attract premium buyers anyway.

I'd maybe try to fix serious safety items that you know about like the windshield but otherwise it's an old truck, what you see is what you get. I try to be honest about it, though.
Agreed 100%, I think I've got a good plan and nice thing about the windsheild is that it only takes a few hundred bucks and not much of my time to do.

Oneops

How’d it turn out?