Search Wait Time

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's set to 20 seconds between searches, any way this could be reduced? It's annoying to have to twiddle my thumbs searching if I get the wrong terms in the search. Maybe wait 5 or 10 seconds to search again?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'll second that one....

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have run into this once in a while. How about 12 seconds? Is there a minimum setting that is good to prevent DOS attacks?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Also:

Attachments

• lincoln-F5.jpg
    lincoln-F5.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 162

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The fastest a search might happen would be one that with no matched terms. I did one of those this morning (which is what prompted me to ask), realized it was a typo, added the needed space and it said I had to wait another 14 seconds. So me, Fastest Search In The West, took 6 seconds. Add in a sip of coffee and a roll of the eyes and you're at 10 seconds, no problem. So, yeah, 10~12 second wait seem pretty reasonable.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Alright, we'll try out 12. The original intent of the search limit was preventing dos type of attacks. On the other hand you should know that searches are very db intensive. Searching is one of the main contributors of forum slowness. As the forum grows with more posts etc. it also intensifies. Remember were on a shared server too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Alright, we'll try out 12. The original intent of the search limit was preventing dos type of attacks. On the other hand you should know that searches are very db intensive. Searching is one of the main contributors of forum slowness. As the forum grows with more posts etc. it also intensifies. Remember were on a shared server too.
No, I do totally understand the compromise. I'd bet even going to 15 seconds would be noticeable. Thanks to you guys behind the forum curtain!

wesintl

RS Moderator
NP.. I run into it more on mud than here since I search for things more there and it's annoying.

BTW.. i'm curious did any of perry's posts return? :eek: :lmao::lol: