• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

San Rafael Swell Travel Management Plan

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Here it is. Looks to have been posted on Jan 14, 2021. Have not yet read through any of the documentation or put together any maps as of today (1/20/2021) so much more to follow.

The open houses are via Zoom it appears so there might be more than the handful of people at the office in Green River this time!

**Public Scoping Period**

From February 1, 2021 through March 3, 2021, the BLM is soliciting feedback from the public and interested stakeholders on the San Rafael Swell Travel Management. The Bureau of Land Management will also hold two online public scoping open houses. During the open houses, staff from the BLM Price & Richfield Field Office will be present to answer questions for the public regarding the travel management plan. The BLM Price Field Office is proposing to designate a travel route network in the San Rafael Swell Travel Management Area. The intent of this project is to identify a network of routes that meets public access and resource management needs. The plan will include a wide-ranging analysis considering the access needs of public lands users. Access needs will be evaluated in conjunction with BLM’s legal mandate to protect natural and cultural resources on public lands. Individual route evaluations and designations included in the plan will be analyzed through the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process. Federal law requires specific evaluation and designation for public motorized uses. Based on this analysis, every BLM route within the Travel Management Area (TMA) will receive designation for its use types or use limitations.

**Online Public Scoping Open Houses**

Tuesday, February 2, 2021 from 3:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M via Zoom - Registration Link

https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_xw7YPfASSW-o8r0OxCvXSA

Thursday, February 4, 2021 from 6:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M, via Zoom - Registration Link

https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_3GYfODlwQNGKkkMijgAskA

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This is significant indeed as the Swell is a major go to area for the Rising Sun.
Looks like the first zoom is coming right up on Feb 2;

**Online Public Scoping Open Houses**
Tuesday, February 2, 2021 from 3:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M via Zoom - Registration Link
https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_xw7YPfASSW-o8r0OxCvXSA

Thursday, February 4, 2021 from 6:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M, via Zoom - Registration Link
https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_3GYfODlwQNGKkkMijgAskA

These times are local/MTN and you can register at the links ahead of time.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The BLM not having many documents yet posted to review I started building something. It's just the USGS National Map at the base with the most recent BLM polygon databases I could find for Wildernesses and Recreational Areas in Utah with some GPX tracks imported on top.

If there's something you know you want to look at let me know.

swelltmp-overview.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've found a couple of spots that concern me.

Devil's Racetrack seems to cross through the Cold Wash Wilderness for about a mile. I at first just assumed my track was off but it appears correct to what Google has. This is a moto and MTB route, not really something 4WD users would know about.

devilsracetrack-coldwashwilderness.png

devilsracetrack-coldwashwilderness-sat.png

Another spot is along Behind the Reef within the Little Wild Horse Canyon Wilderness. This route is called NF-3915 on some topo maps and it appears the GPX follows the image on Google pretty well.

behindthereeftrail-littlewildhorsecanyon.png

behindthereeftrail-littlewildhorsecanyon-esri.png

behindthereeftrail-littlewildhorsecanyon-sat.png

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I can't get a stable connection to follow the live.... hope we can check out a recording later perhaps?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The meeting was helpful. It reminded me that I'd neglected to pull in surface management agency (SMA) data when looking at the Wilderness boundaries.

SITLA is the Utah State Land Trust for schools. They have an inholding where the Devil's Racetrack runs. Not an issue with this cherry stem after all.

devilsracetrack-inholding.png

Ray Kelsey mentioned having the ability to correct typographical errors so I assume that means an error such as on Behind The Reef would fit such a situation as this is not due to SITLA land or otherwise.

behindthereef-inholding.png

mileypig3

Brand New
@Inukshuk and I were in fact up and over NF-3915 about two years ago. There's very little question in my mind that it's there and what the road surface looks like.

View attachment 92132View attachment 92133
Nice photos! Where did you get them? I like traveling to wild places in my car and taking nice photos with my car and the landscapes. My best photos are from Germany. Once, I went on a trip to Germany. I got the train from https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/ to a wild place where I rented a G-Wagon. We went to the mountains, and it was such a great experience. After all, I have never been so concentrated while off-roading because I had to be always attentive and control the car to avoid getting stuck in a place where I could wait for help for a very long time.

Last edited: