Since this is our daily driver and this problem has been lingering on for too long already, I have decided to punt and to steal the turbo off the green truck for the immediate future. Kind of a sad picture but kind of a cool picture
Stayed up late last night to get the swap completed. She’s purring today. New cap, rotor, plugs, belts, fan clutch fluid, and EGR VSV while I had it apart.
Found a thread on MUD where another guy had the exact same failure. He thought it was from playing too hard in the sand dunes. I’m thinking there is a shelf life to these components. He welded his manifold (and it looked better than the welds mine has) but it cracked again, so he ended up with a turbo glide manifold. I think one (or two) may be in my future.
Update here. So like I said above I swapped the good turbo from the green 80 to be on the white 80 so our DD is up and running again. Green 80 has been sitting for months while I’ve been taking a break, dealing with the new house, and figuring out my next step since the actuator was causing a problem. Got a new actuator that’s been sitting in a box waiting.
So getting back into putting the rebuilt turbo onto the green 80. Took pictures of the valves on the green LC for comparison with the pics from the white earlier in this thread. No streaking but some stem seal leaking. About 215,000 on this original engine and it’s had a turbo on it for 100,000.