RP Quality

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Hmmm, Trail Gear R&Ps, eh? I understand the Yukons I got are junk, wonder what the Internet Illuminati must think about Trail Gear.

In all honesty, I'd be skeptical unless you knew who was making them. Probably best to stick with known names, Precision, Yukon, Genuine, etc. Good or bad, at least people can give you actual experiences and you know which marks to look for to know if the R&P is a good set or not.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If ya like Marlin just say "no" to anything associated with Chris Gieger! :rant:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I'm with UB

Secondly, Yukons are rebranded other gears.

Get precision or US gear, and never worry about it. Other brands are fine too, but have had quality issues from time to time.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm with UB

Secondly, Yukons are rebranded other gears.

Get precision or US gear, and never worry about it. Other brands are fine too, but have had quality issues from time to time.

Yukons are OK, I prefer Precision. As Christo already mentioned......Yukons are Randy's Ring and Pinion house brand and Precision is Reider Racing house brand gears. More likely than not they are probably cut at the same gear cutter but are made to the customers specifications.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
whats the story on chris gieger? i am asuming he owns/runs trail gear?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

Yes! You can search up a lot of opinions and stories so I will let you draw your own conclusions but Chris is a climber and he doesn't care who or how he has to find the next step higher! Marlin barely survived Chris' step up by the shear loyalty of his devoted friends and customers!

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I'm running precision gears in my truck and am very happy with them.

There was also some hoopla with Trail Gear and some VERY non tread lightly activity.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I have set up several different branded gears. I have the "economy Yukons" in the back. They were the only gearset I ever built that howled. They didn't break in after 5000 miles. They finally went quiet after JKimmel took me on Billings Canyon.

I guess my setup was right, but the surface of the cheap yukons is rougher than "better" gears. Needless to say, I haven't had any other problems with that diff (so far) and it has been about 35,000 miles.

I think setup is more important than anything.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
cool, thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think I am going to take a swag at setting them up myself... and will probably do the precision gears.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I run Yukons.
The rear Yukons are US Gear, and the front Yukons are Precision. LOL
Yukons are not junk. But there are two 'levels' and you can request the better ones.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I run Yukons.
The rear Yukons are US Gear, and the front Yukons are Precision. LOL
Yukons are not junk. But there are two 'levels' and you can request the better ones.

Even though Red Chili is just a poser :eek: Bill brings up a good point. Quality never comes with a cheap price tag! One of the worst gear sets out there I know of right now are Genuine Gear. They are too hard and sing like a song bird! However the GG install kits are value priced and use Federal Mogul bearings. Ohhh and sorry Chili....ya know I'm just jealous! ;)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

If you search for "6 stud knuckles" that may help dial in the opinions.. both on Mud and on Pirate. But be ready to kill an hour or so.

Magoo

Gen-You-Whine gears.

I'm gonna build a spare 5.29 with Gen-You-Whines one of these days.

look at longfield's cryo gears 150 bucks.
this way if ya do need em for an extended period they wont drive ya nuts.
and if ya dont they will hold some value for resale, like to me:cheers: