roof rack floor - fj40

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
The Wilderness rack on my 40 doesn't have any slats or anything for a floor which makes it mostly useless. (not that I've been needing lots of room yet).

I have some scrap pieces of oak I could rip to about 1x3 or 1x2 (about 48" long) If I put about 5 or 6 up there, would that be sufficient to hold a load? Should I worry about using wood vs. metal? I assume I'd want to lash stuff to the wood slats, too...

Or do I bite the bullet and buy the Wilderness floor kit OR do I just see if 'someome' might have some steel scraps to use and cut to size?

thanks...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I used sanded 6" cedar slats on the rack on my 62 and it worked very well. Cedar will weather well and not warp.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
ooooo...good call on the cedar

and as luck would have it, I have some leftover from a fence project I was working on. :D

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
You can do, like we did in the good 'ol days when Con-Ferr was the only game in town, use a section of chain-link fence. Take a good look at how the chain-link panel is attached on a fence gate and you'll get the idea. 2 x-tra cross members will keep the fencing from sagging. :cool:

Last edited:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I used 1/2" marine grade plywood cut to shape. Rustoleum black with a brush, lasted 3 years of constant outside weather (read no garage).

Just a thought.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I used a piece of a hard plastic drop-in bedliner floor as the floor in my ConFerr rack. It's UV/rain/everything proof, very lightweight, strong as can be, grooved to drain rain (not hold it against your stuff, anyway), and perhaps the only drawback is that it's somewhat slippery. Cut up the old bedliner with a circular saw. Drill holes and use small u-bolts or strong zip-ties to tie it to the ConFerr rack.

Steve