• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Rollins Pass Road

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Headed up towards Rollins pass to see how the snow was and to let the dog run around a bit this afternoon... I was planning on just seeing how far up the road I could get since I've been hiking this thing all winter and have been wanting to get to jenny creek... figured it was time to give it a go in the 60.

welp, the road still has a snow on it. I came up to the first drift (where the FJ is being strapped out by the 80) and bumped into a guy in a Rubicon, and the 80 guy. After a little bit of convincing, I got the guy in the Rubicon to follow me (his buddy who had the 80 jumped in with him) on the condition that I made it over. Welp, i got the 60 over it with not too much trouble... so he followed in my packed down tracks and we went on up. I hit a few drifts that i ended up getting kinda stuck in on the way farther up, so i winched a little bit to help me over. Guy in the Rubicon followed and we continued to the first turn headed back up, where it got to be pretty solid snow.

I headed up it a bit, kinda back and forth making my own tracks, but figured if I got stuck the Jeep didn't have a winch, so i'd have to make sure i could back out. The shot of the road covered shows where I called it a day. The snow is still a few feet deep there, with drifts up to probably 4 feet. The key was going slow and trying to float it. I unleashed the V-8 once and ended up winching myself out.

Truck did pretty well in the slushy snow with the tires aired down, and i got to use my recovery equipment i got from rock stomper. kinda fun.

headed back the way we came, rubicon leading all excet for a few snow drifts he wanted me to plow through first.

Once back we bumped into a gal in an FJ that wanted a go at the first obstacle, we told her we'd pull her out if she got stuck, so she went at it a few times untill she stuck it pretty well.. the guy in the 80 pulled her out no prob.

anywho, figured you guys might like to see what the rollins pass road looks like. Maybe a few more weeks till Jenny creek is accessable from that side...

-Marco

Turn around point is me solo, but dirt area.

Snow covered road is right past teh turn around point.

FJ being strapped out last pic.

Attachments

• DSCN4772 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4772 (Small).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCN4776 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4776 (Medium).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN4780 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4780 (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCN4783 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4783 (Medium).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 347

rover67

Rising Sun Member
and a pic of the dog..

Attachments

• DSCN4768 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4768 (Medium).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 346

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Depending on tomorrow's snow, my guess is at least three weeks until *parts* of JC are passable at all. Rollins should be drivable to Yankee Doodle though.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks pretty good, may be a fun trip in the next few weeks. That is if I can get the truck all back together again.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Pretty neat Marco, so the first place where it drifts, kinda in a narrow section with rocks on both sides, was easily passable?

Nice work :thumb:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yeah, it was not too bad. It helped that I had a dude in a Rubicon looking on though.... had to go for it then :) Seemed like the slushy snow was packing down enough under the tires to still provide enough floatation, which surprised me.

Once I headed up past the first hair pin it got thick for a long streatch, so without somebody i knew there I didn't feel like pushing my luck. I'd bet like Tom says in the next few weeks it might be pretty fun since more snow will be melted.. And as bill suggests prolly three weeks untill parts of JC are clear. By my uneducated non coloridian guess it should all be fine by the trip up at the end of next month.

I was just looking to get up there and see what it was looking like, glad you guys enjoyed/appreciated the report.