• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Rollins Pass - Jenny Creek report 5/25/06

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Decided not to sleep today so Ian and I ran up Rollins Pass to check on the trail. Jenny Creek FR502 is still closed due to snowpack. The first big drift is still blocking the trail just past the closed routes from the main road. The signage is still in place from last year and the non-marked routes appear to have zero traffic so far. We broke through three drifts on the main road and decided against attempting the V cut. I think we need UB up there for that one.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 423
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 495
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 400
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 411
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Walked most of the road picking up the trash that seems to get worse every year. Maybe it seems worse after the first snowmelt but it pissed me off so we started cleaning. A full day and a truckload later the Rollins Pass road is much more presentable. The campsite we came across made me sick, and I might move this to the member's only section because, even though we cleaned up some inconsiderate bastard's mess, it still refects poorly on everyone that enjoys the outdoors.

extra brownie points hopefully, the aluminum will be recycled.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 484
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Our adventure just wouldn't be complete without this :( It's cool though, that brake line held everything in place :D

Silly me thinking Karma was on our side today :eek:

ohsnap.gif

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 405
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 422

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
made it home and got a solid 15 min of sleep before work :D

I would say it was a great day. Thank you Ian for helping out today :beer:

Attachments

• DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 391

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Un-frickin-believable! What a bunch of asshats! Thank you guys for doing what you did (always do!)! Wheres that picture of the drift I gotta break WR out for? ;) Oops....never mind you just loaded it! :rolleyes:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The 40 breaks down into it about 8" or so in the soft spots. Most of the time we could stay on top of it.

Ian at the wheel!!:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 381

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
The 40 breaks down into it about 8" or so in the soft spots. Most of the time we could stay on top of it.

Hmmmmm....Tuesday? :lmao: :rolleyes: ;)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good to me, anything is better than the picket lines :D Might have to fix the truck first though. We drove home on the "trail fix."

Yeah it was a beautiful day up there and it was so nice to be up in the mountains. Treeroot and I defiantly got our exercise in walking the trail picking up junk, but we both felt good with our accomplishments today. The Axle problem kind of sucked but it only took us about 1.5 hours to get it rigged up to come home and we made it safe and sound.

All in all it was a good trip and between the 2 of us we got some excellent pictures!

Treeroot has been running(awake) for at least 28 hours so far on 15 min of sleep and he has another 5 hours left of work, THAT'S HARD CORE....for the love of wheeling sacrifices will be made

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
Sounds good to me. Anything is better than the picket lines :D Might have to fix the truck first though. We drove home on the "trail fix."

I haven't drove WR since the last Jenny Creek Drift flogging! Guess I better pay some attention to the beast....it's annual "wake it up and let it sing" session is upon us! :rolleyes: :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
cougar337 said:
Yeah it was a beautiful day up there and it was so nice to be up in the mountains. Treeroot and I defiantly got our exercise in walking the trail picking up junk, but we both felt good with our accomplishments today. The Axle problem kind of sucked but it only took us about 1.5 hours to get it rigged up to come home and we made it safe and sound.

All in all it was a good trip and between the 2 of us we got some excellent pictures!

Treeroot has been running(awake) for at least 28 hours so far on 15 min of sleep and he has another 5 hours left of work, THAT'S HARD CORE....for the love of wheeling sacrifices will be made

15 minutes? Sounds like he slept in! :lmao: :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
KUDOs to you guys for cleaning up that mess!!! Au contraire, it does not reflect badly on the outdoor public, it reflects famously on the value-added benefit of allowing Rising Sun to adopt the trail!!!!!

In fact, I'm gonna forward the link to Brian Rasmussen and Cat Luna (BRD OHV rangers).

Caring for the land, it's just what we do.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Great Job Mike. How did the breakage happen?

never mind, go get some sleep and answer me later.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well done with the trash guys! :clap: Is that a kid's 4x4 in the background of the last trash pic? was that up there?

And those drifts look like they're all in the same place they were in last year.. that's cool. Kevin, bring WR out tonight! I want to drive it (just be nice to the 80, k?)

wesintl

RS Moderator
Great Job as usual :thumb:

I was wondering how deep the snow is up there. WP got hammered this year.

Man, does your 40 look good :D

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Nice job boys. :bowdown: :bowdown: It does suck to come upon camp sites left by inconsiderate bastards like that. :mad:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The center spring pin broke. It is about the only thing that keeps the axle centered on the springs. U bolts clamp the two together but....

I upgraded to grade 8 bolts the last time the springs were out! Even used Red locktight! :eek:
Maybe metric 10.8s, a spare in the toolbox, and ???

The last pics of the trash were in my yard. We dumped it out to seperate the cans. About 1/3 of the trash came from that campground. The rest was all from the road. We started just past the Moffet Tunnel/Rollins Pass junction and worked up to the first drift.