Rivian - real world reviews

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You might like this piece:

It's still not what I think @White Stripe is (as I am) curious about. It's a single "fill up" tow test and we know that range drops. Exactly how much varies but is in line with ~50% depending.

But the question is in the real world if you're taking a trip you will have to get from point A to B, not conjure up two end points that happen to be the right distance for the test.

If that distance is some real trip, say 350 miles from Denver to Moab. With all the data we know now you'll have to stop probably twice doing that.

Our trucks already drop in range towing but it only takes a few minutes to fill up and get back under way. So a 5:30 trip takes maybe 6 hours instead. What are the real life use implications when this is done with a Rivian towing the same trailer? How much of a charge do you have to put on, how long are the stops.

Another question arises that he touches upon. Even in normal conditions most people top off in Junction or Fruita because there's only the one station at Thomson Springs. I don't know if it has a charging point but assuming it doesn't can an EV truck make the 115 mile run from GJ to Moab pulling a trailer?

For extra points, imagine it's typical Utah weather and the headwind is intermittent gusts of 30 MPH from the west. I'm betting the range drop will be severe.

If you want to take highway 128 you'd miss that station, although the distance is shorter by about 15 miles. If you only wanted to camp at Onion Creek or Dewey you'd have no choice it seems but to go all the way to Moab to charge rather than being able to turn around and go back to GJ. That's the use case where 5 gallons in a jerry can is easier.

Last edited:

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
If that distance is some real trip, say 350 miles from Denver to Moab. With all the data we know now you'll have to stop probably twice doing that.
And stop for how long each time? What a miserable way to get there.

When I tow our 4Runner to Moab, or back, I drive the speed limit (actually 75 in Utah, as 80 feels a little fast) and never stop for fuel. Most times I don't fill up 'till we are headed home, as there's enough left from my original tank to drive around town and out to Dead Horse once. In fifteen minutes (and two swipes of a credit card :ROFLMAO:), I have 450 more towing miles, or 600+ if unloaded. Granted, Excursions have a 44g tank, which is one of the reasons I prefer that platform to the equivalent truck. Spending $70K+ to twiddle my thumbs in Avon, and again in Grand Junction, just so I can hope like mad I can actually make it to Moab, seems nonsensical.

Mark