Rescue needed (2021). Old mtn miners cabin.

pskhaat

Lifted
I'm heading up to help. Anyone care to come/accompany.
29C00F19-431E-46EA-BD5B-79DC149CDD52.jpeg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Wish I saw this earlier. I can help tomorrow if still needed.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Let us know how it went. I would have jumped if I had seen this earlier.

pskhaat

Lifted
Everyone ok! But the 100 is still on its side 😞

Another Jeep rolled up the trail a bit and was being extracted by the good CO Recovery folks. As such couldn't make it down to the vehicle before dark fell fast.

Staying nearby and I do plan on heading back up with my son early tomorrow to see if we can at least right the 100 onto her feet first.

The trails are badly eroded (compared to even earlier this summer). If you would care to help we will surely need and appreciate it, especially if we have to tow her out.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
PM sent.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I just spoke to @pskhaat and will be heading up tomorrow morning to help him get his cruiser back rubber side down. If anyone else wants to help I’m leaving Arvada at 730am and meeting Scott at the keystone parking lot around 830am. Thanks!

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I`m sure you guys know this, but just a reminder. DON'T try cranking the engine over as soon as it is back on 4 wheels. Oil will have moved to places it shouldn't be, like the cylinders. I would pull the plugs first thing.

Good luck!

pskhaat

Lifted
¡¡We can't express our thanks to @Johnny Utah enough for the help today!! I set my own expectations to simply get her righted and lev and the other accompanying vehicle out. Turns out we got her started and ALL vehicles off the trial!!

More pictures and story to follow but all told, extraction was smooth, collaborative, and successful!

B72D349B-47A9-4659-8716-09D83B398F31.jpeg

BBEE764E-74F7-4B6B-8614-4077DEC7616C.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Successful recovery of the land cruiser today! Adam (my son) and I met up with @pskhaat and his son this morning at Keystone resort. Scott led the way up to the flopped 100 series. We headed out through Montezuma and up deer creek towards Webster Pass, then on to N. Fork Swan towards the Wise Mountain old miners cabin. The rig was on its driver side in the middle of a steep, loose switchback and pitched downhill a bit.
Upon reaching the cruiser we positioned Scott’s 100 out in front of the flopped rig and set up a pulley block adjacent to the downed rig. Then we rigged up a tow strap to the passenger side slider for a pull point. We also used another tow strap to anchor the rear bumper to a tree directly behind the flopped rig so it wouldn’t get away from us once righted. Slowly we winched the cruiser back onto all four tires, it worked like a charm!
Once there, we let it roll down the hill a few feet (still connected to the winch line) so we could get it lined up better for a different winch angle. We readjusted the winching rig and were able to pull the now corrected rig up into a flat spot where we could start assessing the damage and pulling spark plugs.
At this point we realized we didn’t have all of the right tools to get the spark plugs out but a couple from Texas was driving by in their jeep and offered their help. Turns out they had exactly what we needed! A big thank you to that couple because we would not have been able to complete the tasks without them!
We pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine over a few times to get any oil out of the cylinders, once we were satisfied we reinstalled the plugs and she fired right up. The engine smoked a little bit but ran well. We were able to drive it out under its own power. The recovery could not have gone better! The truck was recovered smoothly and no one was injured.
We all worked really well together and Adam and I found new friends in Scott and his son Cole.

And now for the pictures!

Last edited: