• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Request: Winter trails suggestions around Glenwood Springs/Frisco/Breckenridge/etc

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Hello all - just looking for some suggestions for trails to check out this weekend the above general areas. A friend of mine has a robotics event he volunteers with in Glenwood this weekend, and my son and I are heading up there Saturday evening to check out the event. We're staying overnight and want to get out in the woods on Sunday. It'll be his first real trip in his new Bronco.

So - any suggested trails out that way that we could check out? We're very aware of how much snow is (likely) out there, and will be pretty well equipped for the trip. I just haven't hit many trails along that route so have no basis for deciding which ones are likely to be fun without being too dangerous.

Thanks!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The Deadman's Creek trail out to Hubbard's Cave near Glenwood Springs might be open this time of year. Not sure since I never did it in the wintertime. Many years ago, this was the adopted trail of Rising Sun. @Crash and @nuclearlemon might have more info.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I see that Sunlight Ski Area just south of Glenwood Springs is reporting a 45" snow base currently. I can only guess that Deadman's would be impassable once you turn off of Red Canyon Rd. onto any of the wheeling/hunting trails up there. Lookout Mtn. Rd., off of Red Canyon, is maintained up to the communications towers overlooking Glenwood. We've been up there in the winter before and snow piles up pretty good in the forest and and doesn't melt until spring.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The other side of the Grand Mesa from Sunlight. The Thunder Mountain Lodge keeps a running total...284" so far in 2022-2023 on top.

IMG_2738_mid.png

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The other side of the Grand Mesa from Sunlight. The Thunder Mountain Lodge keeps a running total...284" so far in 2022-2023 on top.

Wow! -25 up there right now, and the snow!
October 2022: 30″
November 2022: 29″
December 2022: 82”
January 2023: 143″

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I'm pretty sure everything is closed/impassable right now... it's been snowing a lot up high lately.
Try again in the end of May or beginning of June. ❄️

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member

krispykritter

Rock Stacker
Hey guys, I really appreciate the feedback. We're going to be there anyway so might as well explore a little but we'll stick to the touristy activities. I figured it was going to be some deep snow but wow, that's a lot.

Maybe we'll just hit yankee hill on our way back =D