• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Repairs/Upgrades/Mods for First Gen Tacoma

thatscrazyimin

Brand New
Hi all!

I have had a 1998 Tacoma SR5 (first gen) for a few months now. It has slowly turned into an off roading vehicle -- lift (3"), tires (33"), and camper (GoFastCamper). These are all professionally installed.

With the off roading, there is an ever growing list of things I'd like to do.

• Fix the steering play (video)

• Wiring for truck bed power -- for lights, fridge, etc

• Dual Battery setup (Maybe?) (for the above mentioned)

• Replace windshield wiper reservoir -- apparently its positioning and off-roading caused it break (relocate)

• New seat install -- the original are shot even for highway driving

• Lockers, but I'm pretty sure that is an expensive and professional job.

• Supercharger, ha, maybe one day!
I'm not a "car guy". I want to learn to do this stuff, but I need to learn from somebody. I can watch all the Youtube Videos, but there is obviously a level of experience still required. I currently live in an apartment complex, no access to a full garage and tools.

I'd love to work with someone to learn this stuff. Paying accordingly of course.

Denver has DIY Auto Repair. It seems they go for more generic repair assistance, not mods.

Any recommendations where to start?

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
One way to get started is to make friends with more like minded folks who are into Tacomas, wrenching, camping, or off roading. You'll find lots of people checking all those boxes and more here in the club. You may want to come check out the club at our next meeting, we generally meet the first Wednesday of each month and we'll post the details here on the forum header.
We're mostly hands on self starter types and happy to share knowledge with those eager to learn and grow. It takes some time to learn the skills but anyone can do it if they are committed.
Thanks for posting up!