Wanted Reliable transportation for Teen

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
A friend of mine has a daughter who is looking for a used car, needs to be in the $3-4,000 range. Hopefully something that's still decent looking, but definitely needs to be reliable. They don't have a specific make, or model in mind, just a decent car for a teenage daughter....something you would put your young daughter in...

Let me know if you have something, or if you know someone who has something that would fit the bill, would be appreciated.

I thought I would try here before they start getting circled by the sharks at a dealer...

Thanks,
Kurt

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
How soon would they be looking to get this vehicle?

FJ 432

Daniel that is a great car. My 96 ES300 is in my top two of the best Toyotas I've owned. Sold it with 129k miles and still had the original brakes.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I’m not sure on a timeline for the purchase. I would suspect it would happen fairly soon? If you have the perfect car, but not ready right away, you two can hash out a plan.

I’ll pass along the link for the Lexus to him as well.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
We have a 2004 pathfinder limited with 108k we are considering selling in that range. Single owner before me with full maintenance history.

Has an issue with some peeling paint but is mechanically in great shape. Let me know if your interested. Looking to get rid of it since the fiance said I am in charge of all vehicle decisions so its time to move her up to a 100

Attachments

• 20200508_202648.jpg
    20200508_202648.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
He has a link to this thread, and he's interested in the Pathfinder for sure. Does it have a transmission cooler? I know nissan has a problem with the radiator failing and the coolant and tranny fluids mix...That happened to my Son's Xterra...but something to address before failure if it has a tranny cooler.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
He has a link to this thread, and he's interested in the Pathfinder for sure. Does it have a transmission cooler? I know nissan has a problem with the radiator failing and the coolant and tranny fluids mix...That happened to my Son's Xterra...but something to address before failure if it has a tranny cooler.

I will have to check on that. We looked at Xterras too when we were purchasing and I knew that was an issue. Not sure if this one has an external tranny cooler or routes through the radiator. I heard that referenced as the "strawberry milkshake of death".

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, it wasn’t pretty, but at least it was expensive!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
It does not appear to have an independent transmission cooler. Looks like it's through the radiator.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I recently bought a 2000 ES300. I fixed a couple things (hood supports, new rear brake pads and greased a sticky slide pin). Its a good car, but a little boring for me (could be good for a teen). I would part with it for basically what I have in it.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
The '01 Pathfinder I had (at 75K) burned a lot of oil and got 13 city, 17 highway. Gutless and spark-knocked unless you filled it with super-premium. My father bought it new and it always had proper maintenance. I would avoid these like the plague and get a '97-01 Camry, which is about as bulletproof a teen car as there is. The 2000 ES300 (Shuksan, above) is the same thing in Lexus drag.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
The '01 Pathfinder I had (at 75K) burned a lot of oil and got 13 city, 17 highway. Gutless and spark-knocked unless you filled it with super-premium. My father bought it new and it always had proper maintenance. I would avoid these like the plague and get a '97-01 Camry, which is about as bulletproof a teen car as there is. The 2000 ES300 (Shuksan, above) is the same thing in Lexus drag.

Was the 01 the previous generation? R50 or whatever?

Ours does not burn a drop and has the newer v6 with plenty of power. I got it since my friend ran his to 210k with no major issues before selling. I run regular in it and have never has knocking issues either.

Work on the front end is kinda a pain since it has inboard hubs so you need to pull them to get to the rotors. Good news is that I tackled that project last fall.

Interesting how different experiences with the same vehicle can be.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Interesting how different experiences with the same vehicle can be.

Fully agree! Same generation - see photo. I see Pathfinders with a ton of miles, but I didn't have a great feeling about this one. This had the 'venerable' 3.5, but what a dog. The oil burning came on fairly suddenly at 70K and the oil was black as tar when I would change it every 3000 miles. I have never seen a Japanese engine act like this. This was my wife's DD and she's not very picky, but just wasn't very happy with it. She loves the GX 470 she now drives. V8 power and 17 mpg in all-around driving. Now, back to the topic at hand.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 80

Maxman

New-ish
2007 Rav4 Sport. With the awesome V6 in it. It has high miles at 260k. But it's been super reliable and gets pretty good mpgs. It could use new front CVs in the near future. $3500, which is alot less than KBB value
IMG_20210303_105508239_HDR.jpg

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Bringing this back to the top...

Looks like they’re ready to buy. Anything still for sale. Anything else for sale?

He has the link to this thread, so he’s watching...

Thanks for your interest!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Pathfinder is still available if he wants to take a look or test drive. I just replaced the center console padding that had a rip in it with new OEM.

Edit: I actually will be driving down to DIA to drop someone off tomorrow afternoon and could meet them anywhere along I 70 for a test drive.

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I have this Lexus ES300 I just cleaned up and put up for sale.

Jcbmx

Trail Ready
I had a 2000pathfinder, most reliable engine ever never a drop of oil and neglected maintenance schedule by me. The transmission only got hot once while towing home my Fj40 with a U-Haul trailer(Way over recommended capacity) amazing vehicle you just need to check the strut towers for potential rust. Mine shot through into the engine bay, luckily there was a factory recall and I got it totaled out for full credit. Sorry I don't have a car available for sale, just wanted to chime in on my pathfinder experience. I would buy another one again in a heartbeat if I didn't need the additional space(have a sequoia now)