• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Red Cone video

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
The last time I ran Red Cone in early July I took some video to show a point of view perspective. I'm glad I ran it when I did because the early rock obstacle has apparently since been removed! I've been running this trail since 2000, and it's sad to see it (and other trails) change to be easier and more accessible. As others have been discussing lately, I think "gatekeeper" obstacles are important to ensure only capable drivers and vehicles are on the trail for their own safety. The rock in question is at the 25 second mark btw:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@mcgaskins myself, and three other members ran red cone last Wednesday and the first rock obstacle is still there. We did stack some rocks to get over but still not an “easy” obstacle. I certainly wouldn’t want to do it without good spotting.

CoMtnGoat

Rock Stacker
Hiya, New to the group... Awaiting my 5th Gen OR... Planning 285/70r17 and 2.5 lift with viper cut...

I've done Red Cone many times in my previous jeep Rubicon (4door) and wondered what you all are running to ensure when I try it, I'm properly equipped.

Aware of the gate rocks and the tight right hander at the tree... What do you need on a 4runner for those?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My guess is the difficulty of what we call a gatekeeper isn't uniform is all.

Last time I ran it, probably late summer 2015 I think, I thought it was hard enough to be an eye opener but I was running stock size tires, no lift yet in a truck with a stick shift (e.g. a bit less finesse to work with). The driver side slider took a pretty good hit even with good spotting.

Plus wouldn't the time of year have a lot to do with how difficult it is? It may not move much each spring but I'd still assume a fair bit of debris collects around it during the thaw. So maybe during June and July the approach and drive off is less chewed up and rutted than August and September. <Insert side-by-side complaint here>

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I ran Red Cone in August 2020 with a couple of Boy Scout leaders, and the gatekeeper obstacle was still intact.

IMG_0993.jpeg

PhillyB77

I ran this in maybe...2017 (?) in my tundra with a 6 inch lift and 35's. Too easy. Nice trail, not far up the road from me.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I love red cone! The first time I did it was in 2005, in my stock open open 1993 FZJ80 that still had temp tags. I'm pretty sure this was the first trail I did in that 80.
Screenshot_20220204-011536_Photos.jpg

So new, I bungie corded the CB antenna to the grill. The blue 60 is a great cruiser head and friend. Pretty sure I took this picture with a disposable camera.

Screenshot_20220204-011633_Photos.jpg

And this is from the last time I did red cone. It was over the summer with Philip @stusic and Aaron Dugan, can't remember his forum handle.

Cheers,
Angelo