Red Cone, Radical, Glacier Ridge rock garden, Taylor, Pearl, Italian in 2 days.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I had one night and one day available by myself (no kids) to run the 4Runner Jamboree based out of Glenwood. I was able to leave Evergreen at 10am to make the 6pm raffle in Glenwood and see all the Runner guys again. So since I-70 traffic would be bad Sat., I decided to run Red Cone, Radical and Glacier Ridge on the way. The Glacier Ridge (Missouri Gulch) rock garden was quite fun. It was dry this time and I managed to get through it going up this year with just one rock stack. My new Tundra coils up front and new OME's everywhere else gave me more lift and turned out to be a sweet suspension setup. I was loving it. I saw Mark Cheney (Shorty) coming down the trail with his friends. I kept moving up to Georgia Pass, down to Breck., and made it to Glenwood by 5pm.

After the raffle I camped under the stars at Taylor Lake near Taylor Pass and the divide, fished and wheeled the Taylor divide area the next morning and met the group at the Pearl Pass trailhead. The runner group got a late start with various rig problems and then we had a 2 hour delay with a 2nd gen runner that lost a bolt on his steering mechanism. It always seems to be the modified 2nd gens that have problems on these events. Plus this event always has a lot of new comers getting "experienced" as they go. We finally made it up to Pearl Pass at 2:30pm. It was a spectacular and slow moving run down toward the Butte. Then, another 2nd gen guy wasn't paying and drove off the road and was dangerously close to rolling. We used my snatch block, and Ric winched him back on the road. A strap to his slider prevented him from rolling when winching him back up (been there-done that-never again). I said goodbye to the group and kept rolling to Italian Pass to meet up with my wife who was staying in Dillon that night. I made it there by midnight.

Italian Pass was the most exciting Pass I have ever done. This is a gem. Specifically the upper Reno Divide section and American Flag Mtn. side trip. I know the club is running this in a few weeks. This upper section is a very narrow tight road with VERY few passing sections and very limited visibility to oncoming traffic. Granted traffic is probably low on this section. But, meeting a group coming the other direction would be a disaster. The rock ledge itself was a bit of a rock garden on a shelf road. There were several large rocks that had to be driven over to stay away from the edge, which would get you tippy (35 degrees plus). Being lifted on 33's and going down it, I could pretty much just tip toe over the rocks. Going up would be more difficult. A stocker would have his hands full and it would freak out an inexperienced driver. Especially if they got hung up and had to be strapped. I haven't driven this section before, but based on all the pictures I have see, I think this section has gotten worse. I would advise sending any stockers on the low road if going up.

American Flag Mtn. on the Taylor side of Italian Rd. is spectacular. It's a fun little drive up to the top, that offers commanding views of the whole area. It was getting dark, but I tried to copy Darren and get a poser pic near the flag. But, my 4 year old 2 mega pixel camera needs to be replaced, everything is grainy now. So all my pictures are very poor quality. I aired up on Cottonwood Pass and was ready for some pavement.

You guys are going to have a blast on the tripple bypass.

Pics go like this -

Red Cone with Denver in the rain Sat. AM. - Taylor Lake early AM
Pearl Pass Meeting place - Pearl Pass
Pearl Pass guys coming up Pearl

Attachments

• 157-5743_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5743_IMG (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 157-5752_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5752_IMG (Small).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 157-5753_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5753_IMG (Small).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 157-5755_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5755_IMG (Small).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 403
  • 157-5756_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5756_IMG (Small).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Pearl Pass group shot
Driver error - Getting ready to go down Itailan Pass shelf rd.
Italian Pass shelf road

Attachments

• 157-5768_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5768_IMG (Small).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 157-5766_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5766_IMG (Small).JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 157-5764_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5764_IMG (Small).JPG
    31 KB · Views: 405
  • 157-5762_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5762_IMG (Small).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 399
  • 157-5758_IMG (Small).JPG
    157-5758_IMG (Small).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
American Flag Mountain

Attachments

• 157-5770_IMG (Medium).JPG
    157-5770_IMG (Medium).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 413
Nice pics! I was messing around in Taylor Park this past weekend also.

How did that white Yota slide off the trail?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
ArloGuthroJeep said:
Nice pics! I was messing around in Taylor Park this past weekend also.

How did that white Yota slide off the trail?

Driver error. Getting experiece. Not sure really.

Ric

Scott,
as always, it was GREAT wheeling with you again....
we are so glad that you did make it :thumb:
one of these days, your gonna have to take me up the that "Flag Mtn." (or atleast let me know how to get there) Id love to have one of them pics..

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Scott,
Thanks for posting the pics and descriptions, especially the Italian Creek/Upper Reno Divide trial description. That looks sketchy in the dark! The plan for the TBP is to run that part last. I think I'll be taking your advice and running the lower road in my "training wheel equiped" 40 with the rest of the stockers. :D

LandBruiser

Lifted
I thought Pearl Pass was closed on the Crested Butte side. A friend of mine that lives in Gunny said the shelf road/rock garden had a landslide/avalanche and was impassable due to snow and rocks. Was up at the top of Pearl this time last year and had a great time tho.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
LandBruiser said:
I thought Pearl Pass was closed on the Crested Butte side. A friend of mine that lives in Gunny said the shelf road/rock garden had a landslide/avalanche and was impassable due to snow and rocks. Was up at the top of Pearl this time last year and had a great time tho.

It's open. I didn't see any rock slides. It's a pretty easy run. Not sure why it gets a difficult rating.