• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Red Cone Night Run, July.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I'm gauging interest in a possible night run up Red Cone this July. It's got to be before or after the Ghost Town Run. So I'm thinking we do Friday night the 15th or Saturday night the 16th and the other options would be Friday night the 29th or Saturday night the 30th.
I'm leaning towards the 29th or 30th.

It would be an up and over run because I'm not coming down Webster in the dark.
My plan is to go up and over Red Cone, come up the back side of Radical Hill, drop down into the Georgia Pass road and then folks can choose to go out to Breck and come back on 70 or go over Georgia Pass and come back on 285. I will be going over Georgia Pass to 285. There will also be a chance to split and leave through Montezuma and come back on 70 as well.
This would not be a good run for beginners. I'd rather have folks who have run this trail before and are familiar with it, or at least people who are well versed in off-roading. And good lights are definitely going to be helpful. A locker is very handy on this trail for some super flexy spots.

I'd like to get started before sundown. We will probably be out well after midnight. Bring snacks and water. Bring warm clothes. It might be 90 in Denver but it could possibly be 40 up on top at night, you never know with Colorado summer weather.
I'd rather not eat dinner out on the trail, so please eat dinner before the trailhead or at the trail head ahead of time.

COMS: I'll have CB/FRS/GMRS

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Pending on date i'd be in!
I'm headed to the Black Hills 7/13 - 7/17 for the BH Cruiser Classic.
Better get some rock lights I guess.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Oh that does sound fun!! I too would be interested, depending on the date. I've really been slacking on rewiring my lights to the replacement SwitchPros. Lol! Time to get busy on it!

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Interested. Late July would be best.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am interested. Did something similar a few year back (July 24th 2018). Top of red cone at sunset!
IMG_1021.JPGIMG_1026.JPG
We just went down into montezuma and camped a little ways up chihuahua

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Interested pending dates

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I updated the OP with date options.
I'm leaning towards either Friday the 29th or Saturday the 30th.

What say all of you?

@bh4rnnr Does this sound like something you want to get in on? Either drive it or ride along with me? Great chance for some awesome pictures.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I am interested. Did something similar a few year back (July 24th 2018). Top of red cone at sunset!

We just went down into montezuma and camped a little ways up chihuahua

Do you remember what time to left the trail head to get to the top around sunset at that time of year?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I vote Sat the 30th, but can go ether day.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Do you remember what time to left the trail head to get to the top around sunset at that time of year?
Probably trailhead about 630ish. I have pictures of the Little Rock garden before switchbacks that say 7:15. Keep in mind this was just two vehicles.

I think it was close to 2 h bottom to top with 5 vehicles when we ran it in august 2019 with @3rdGen4R

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
I updated the OP with date options.
I'm leaning towards either Friday the 29th or Saturday the 30th.

What say all of you?

@bh4rnnr Does this sound like something you want to get in on? Either drive it or ride along with me? Great chance for some awesome pictures.

Travis, i'd definitely be interested in this, especially riding along to take pics:). Friday the 29th would be ideal for me. Can't do Saturday since I work on Sunday.

:beer::beer:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I'm leaning towards Friday night the 29th.
Let's move forward with that for now. We're still a ways out obviously. But let's shoot for that.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Alright. Is any one still up for this on Friday the 29th?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
29TH is Wednesday

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Let's do it!

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Ok.
Friday the 29th.
We're leaving the trail head no later than 7:00 PM. So be at the trail head by 6:30 pm
We'll be running GMRS/FRS Ch-22
The plan is to stop as little as possible on the way up. I'd like to be able to be at the top for sunset. Please make sure you've already eaten dinner or bring something that's easy to eat on the move.
Bring some warm clothes. Even at the end of July you never know what the weather will be like up there at that altitude at night fall. If there's a good chance of the weather being really crappy, then we'll pull the plug last minute and reschedule.

There is a way to go up and around and loop back into the bottom of the Red Cone trail head without ever leaving dirt roads. I plan on completing this loop. (No, I'm not talking about Webster) So anyone who wants to set up camp at or near the Red Cone trail head, we can circle back around to it. Perry, you can leave your truck either at my house or at the trail head. Justin is planning on camping out there, so you might be able to leave your rig at his camp site. This is going to be a really long run if you stick with it all the way around. As I stated before, there will be a couple points where folks can peal off and go back to Denver via 70 if so desired.

Post up any questions.
Post up if you're coming, I'd like to get a truck count.

Looking forward to this! It should be a ton of fun.