Red Cone - 10 June, 2006

Got this from my boss...

Hey Chris - the Forest Service opened up the gate on Red Cone for our patrol to do a first run Saturday. We got over the top and down about 1/3 of the way to Montezuma. We ran into snow in several places that was an absolute mess to get through - lots of winching, high-speed passes, etc. But it was all fun until we ran into a wall of snow 5 feet high. When we climbed up on the snow bank, we could see drifts 5-10 feet thick running down the trail for about 100 yards. We gave up. But that meant we had to go back UP Red Cone. That was an adventure! Not as bad as I feared, but not something I'd do every day. Webster Pass back down to 285 is snowed so much that it might be August before it melts out. Its a huge ridge of snow that extends probably 50 yards down the shelf road and its hard as a rock. We could walk on it without even beginning to sink an inch.

The truck was a mess. I had the top off, so I had mud inside and out - pretty much had one solid brown jeep. But it was worth it - a fun day all around.

Gary

FYI, Red Cone is still officially closed. My boss's club was basically allowed a pre-run, but the FS folks closed it up after they were finished. The cool thing is that they got to go UP Red Cone!

Chris

wesintl

RS Moderator
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=67310

Looks like Bill Moore is going to take a while too. Not really suprising considering the pounding of snow along that area of the divide this year.

I wonder when Tim is going to mount a blower on the front of his cruiser and turn the drifts into italian ices' for all on the run :D

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
wesintl said:
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=67310

Looks like Bill Moore is going to take a while too. Not really suprising considering the pounding of snow along that area of the divide this year.

I wonder when Tim is going to mount a blower on the front of his cruiser and turn the drifts into italian ices' for all on the run :D

I can vouch for Bill Moore, we went up saturday again. This time we went up Red Elephant (thanks treeroot) and tried to go to the top of Bill Moore but huge snowfield about 1.0 mile from the lake. Might be a while. I'll post a couple of pics if I get a chance.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I bet if they were pink panities they wouldn't be in a wad.. :lmao:

I dunno if they removed the thead i link to or what. It had pics of the drift on webster, etc.