• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Rear end help (Bill????)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
OK guys,

I drove the 4Runner yesterday with the 37's for the first time, boy is that thing tall..........to tall. Anyway I am driving it everywhere to break in the springs and hopefully get some sag in it.

So here is the problem, when I accelerate rapidly or stop rapidly the rear end makes a clunking sound. Sort of like the third member is being pushed up or down and then setting in place. There seems to be some axle rap going on, as I rock the truck back and forth by pulling on the bumper you can see the pumpkin move up an down.

Does anybody have an idea on what it may be??

Here is the set up, 5" Marlin USA springs mounted to two" lift shackles (soon to be removed) shocks are in the stock position.

Thanks for any help you may send my way.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm... difficult to say without seeing it. Try removing the shocks and driving around. Are your U bolts tight? They can loosen scary fast...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Ewww... :D

Beater

Hard Core 4+
believe it or not, tire pressure can affect this as well, but I would triple check all torque specs

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Drive shafts/u-joint? But I'm with eveyone else check u-bolts. Also check bushing are the correct size especially at fixed end. If you are seeing axlewrap at this point DO NOT pull any leafs out. Maybe add a bunch of weight to help settle springs.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Good advice guys, I will check all those things and let you all know what comes of it.

As for the proctologist part...........I am NOT Bills patient, just wnated to make that clear!

Thanks guys.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
OK, checked the U bolts and they were loose. I watched my friend Jay tighten these up late Sunday night and he was pulling hard. I guess taking it for a small drive was enough to seat some of the items that they came loose.

I checked all the other bolts with teh torque wrench and some were off a little but most of the others were fine.

Replacing the steering box tomorrow night with a "new" one that does not leak so I can get a real feel for the steering. So far I am happy with the results, the dogs on the other hand hate me. They have to jump about 4 feet high onto the tailgate to get in so guess what I will be working on after Moab??? Yep a mounted sliding doggie ramp, they aren't spoiled or anything like that.

BTW Bill, my wife loves the ride and look. She agrees about two inches lower and it will be perfect. I will be cutting fenders this weekend to accomadate the tires once all settles and the shackles are changed.

Thanks again to all for the advice, I checked all the things you guys told me and she runs like a champ now.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:thumb:
Yeah, I learned the hard way that U bolts can loosen faster than Anna Nicole Smith's relational ethics.

Check 'em again soon, too! (the u bolts...)

I got tired of always having to check them, and of the warped plates from many of the kits, so I doubled the thickness of the plates, used 5/8" U bolts from NAPA front and rear (requires a press to alter the bend on the passenger side front :smokin:), torqued them to 100 lb./ft., and they have not budged.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I may just add a second nut on top of them. I think most of the problem came from getting them seated and some stretching of the metals. I will check them every night for the next two weeks and some of the other bolts too.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I torque mine to 100 too. The stock plates just bend. the all-pro plates on my front bent. The Trailgear plates on the back are fine (more "kick" on the ends.) I have as et of 1/2" TG plates to try out on the front, but I don't think I'll get that done pre-CM2007. They won't bend.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I may just add a second nut on top of them.
No, don't do dat. The nut is not backing off. The U bolt is stretching. A second nut will just lull you into complacency.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
But I like being complacent!!!!!!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
make sure to check them once in a while, I've got 1/2" plates on my front and they are slightly bent from tightening. Don't forget shackle bolts and such too. Have you had it off road yet? I watched a friend in Moab with brand new alcans on his scout and the flexing from the first trail broke them in very nice.

Don't worry too much about it settling, it will, they just need more of a workout than the street will give them.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
J,

I have been checking them everyday since I noticed they were loose, no problems as of yet.

I have not had it off road yet but plan to do so maybe later today if not next weekend. Need to flex them a little bit at least so I will be driving it up any wall I can find.........JK

I am getting used to the height eventhough I still thinkit is to tall, we'll see what comes of it. I will bring the shorter shackles to Moab so if it is to tall I can make the swap there.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The shorter shackles won't do much to lower it, but they will severely limit articulation. I say, run what ya brung! ;)