question about magnification and resolution

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Question: If I record a digital image 100x magnification using a camera on a microscope, and then shrink the image by 50% on the computer and print it out, would it still be a 100x image?

:confused:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Yes, only 50% smaller :confused:

What happens if you take a 12megapixel pictures and shrink it 50%? It doesn't become a 6megapixel picture does it? Or does it? Hmmmm

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I'm not sure. I would think that if the image was captured at 100x magnification, it would stay a 100x image regardless of what I do to the size/scale afterwards. For instance, if I print the 100x image in a book or I project it onto a 50 foot movie screen, it's still a 100x image, right?

I'm having this discussion with a publisher and I just want to make sure I'm not sounding stupd. :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
IMO the image is still 100x, just smaller. I guess I'm basing that off images you see in science books etc. If they magnify something 1000x with a microscope, take a pic, and then reduce the "size" of the picture by 1/2 to fit it in the book IMO the image is still 1000x magnified, just smaller in size thus harder to see. Probably why most of the time publishers crop images to show a smaller section of an overall larger picture.

But maybe I'm right there with you on the stupd part :D

All I know is no way can I post up full res 12mp pictures on the forum :hill: - First they're 3+ MBs large and at 100% they are HUGE

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I am assuming you used a lens to do the magnification BEFORE the light hit the camera sensor. This magnified the subject 100X bigger than could be seen with the naked eye. If printed to scale of your image, it would be 100X bigger than actual size. If printed half size, it would be a photo taken at 100X magnification, printed at a size that is 50% of actual. You would likely still see detail available only at 100X magnification, but it would not be printed at 100X of the actual size.

Here's another way to look at it. When you take a photo of your Land Cruiser, you might get an 11 x 17 print made of it, but you probably wouldn't print it ACTUAL size -- you'd have an enormous photo. But if you did, then you would have an actual size photo at 1X magnification.

Now let's say you took a 1" square photo of the door hinge, at 100X magnification. That would be 300" x 300" = 25 feet square if printed ACTUAL size. If you printed it at 5" square, that would be a photo taken at 100X and shrunk 80% in the printing. It would still be 100X magnification, but it would only be 20X actual size.

Clear as mud? Few things are printed at actual size, unless you are buying from Fathead.com. I agree, it's a confusing issue.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

corsair23

Hard Core 4+