Putting a locked 99 OE LC axle in a 2000 Land Cruiser

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I bench tested a few times back and forth with a 12 V to the green and green-red (1 and 2 in above diagram) . An old 9 V didn't have the juice to do anything @AimCOTaco, but maybe because it was old. Satisfied that everything to do with the actuator was good to go I installed according to the FSM (clean surfaces and use FIPG). Of course the full out position of 78 mm was just too far to get the nice new bolts to thread so after I put the set screw in, I tapped 12 V to pull the rod in just a bit and then pulled the actuator the rest of the way on by tightening the 4 bolts a bit at a time. You can see some of the new harware and the new position sensor below.
IMG_6147.jpegIMG_6148.jpeg
Supposedly it is fine/good for the bench test positions to be a bit further than the actual distance you want the fork to move as the spring mechanism in the actuator holds both the in and out positions with a spring load.

Tonight or tomorrow I will figure out whats up with the harness. Would it have been easier to just do that first? Maybe, but now I know much more about the function and condition of the actuator.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
So 2 new things: 1) I do think the switch senses continuity or not and it is actually essential to switch function.

2) I think my switch went bad, which is quite surprising. I did a little more trouble shooting this morning, which is why i suspect these things. If you jump the ground and the sensor that says locked - blue (really not in unlocked position) it will give the correct 12V to the red and green wires both at the switch and at the other end of the harness.

However if you jump yellow and ground (which should mean unlocked/not locked) it will not give 12V as it should. I ordered a new 8 pin rocker switch from low range (can't get a response from 12V guy) and we'll see if that fixes things.

IMG_6134.jpeg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
It was the switch! Of all the pieces that could fail, I wouldn't think the switch would be it.

I'll see if I can take it apart much and see any obvious issues.

Everything is fully operational with the locker. New shoes tomorrow or wednesday and we are ready to roll!

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Way to run it to ground dude ;) nice troubleshoot!

Hope you just had bad luck, I've found that quality switches are hard to find in retail anymore and you have to mail order to find the good stuff.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Way to run it to ground dude ;) nice troubleshoot!

Hope you just had bad luck, I've found that quality switches are hard to find in retail anymore and you have to mail order to find the good stuff.
well I did all of the hardest stuff first, as I often seem to do.

Both switches are from the same place: otrattw and appear to be the same, except color.

Whats interesting is 12V guy and low range offroad had different wiring instructions. I hooked up new switch according to 12Vguy diagram and it worked right away.
IMG_6134 2.jpegIMG_6185.PNG

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Oh nice!! I've been reading along, excited you got it figured out, and just in time!!!!!! At least you know the actuator is clean and ready to go!!!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Oh nice!! I've been reading along, excited you got it figured out, and just in time!!!!!! At least you know the actuator is clean and ready to go!!!
Yeah I don’t mind doing a little run around on a project like this. I have a much better idea of how it all works now. Exited to test it out next week

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
well I did all of the hardest stuff first, as I often seem to do.

Both switches are from the same place: otrattw and appear to be the same, except color.

Whats interesting is 12V guy and low range offroad had different wiring instructions. I hooked up new switch according to 12Vguy diagram and it worked right away.
View attachment 103674View attachment 103675
Thanks for posting this. I was trying to copy what 12volt guy did using my own stuff when I retrofitted my 80 with locked axles and could never get the circuit to work. I checked, rechecked and checked again but then gave up out of frustration. Now I have something else to look at and hopefully finish what I started 3 years ago. Sheesh I have the adhd real baaa.....SQUIRREL!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah I don’t mind doing a little run around on a project like this. I have a much better idea of how it all works now. Exited to test it out next week
It's a game changer! 100% more capable

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
It's a game changer! 100% more capable
This is no joke. I was a little hesitant to start testing on kokopelli, but ended up playing with it some on top of the world. Was a big help. Used it off and on throughout the week. Trying similar obstacles with and without the locker engaged. Definitely allows you to be a little more gentle going up since you don't have to use skinny pedal and rely on ATRAC. I don't think ATRAC ever engage (front only obviously) when I had the rear locked. I've got a pretty cool video going through some moguls on dome plateau that I'll post up when I get around to uploading.

One little odd thing happened was it blew a fuse in the open position. I then realized I only had a 10A fuse in there when it is supposed to be a 20A. Replaced on trail and didn't have another issue the rest of the trip.