• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Putting a locked 99 OE LC axle in a 2000 Land Cruiser

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Last week @J1000 alerted me to some various 100 series (LC and LX's) that were at the north Denver PullandPay. The 98/99 LC is always intriguing becuase they had the option to be equipped with a factory rear locker. When I got there Jimmy was already getting some stuff and someone maybe had some eyes on the locked rear axle as the OE switch was cut out and maybe the computer was pulled. Also a few bolts were pulled, one shock was kinda off. Regardless, it wasn't plausible to pull it that day because I just didn't have the right tools and Jimmy had to run.
IMG_3991.jpegIMG_3993.jpegIMG_3994.jpeg
Lucky for me, Jimmy offered to help me and pushed me to go get it today. The rain held off and we made moderately paced work of disconnecting control arms, shocks, and E-brake line. Some brake lines were already cut but we snipped the remaining one coming down to the axle in the middle. Since the computer and OE switch were gone I am probably gonna wire up or buy a simpler control and this saved allot of time from pulling countless clips. We were able to drag it out sideways and barely get it on a lifted cart and into my trailer.
IMG_4023.jpeg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Very basics of my plan right now:
  1. Clean everything up
  2. Test the locker actuator (should just be 12V and -12V right?)
  3. Probably open up the pumpkin and make sure the gears are looking good (can't say I have heard of one of these 100 series rear axles going bad)
  4. Install new E-brake pads and new brake rotors.
  5. Research and plan bringing the 2000 hard brake lines over (supposedly different)
  6. Put my LC up on the lift, drop current axle and install the locked one! Super simple right.
Will use this thread to keep track of progress and solicit advice when needed, but quite a bit of examples of this surgery over on Mud, which will be a great help.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is awesome! Im jealous!!! Ill help with the install if I can.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
This is awesome! Im jealous!!! Ill help with the install if I can.
I am not planning to rush this in before wheeling season. Probably gonna work on it over the summer when I have time and aim for a Fall install. Will certainly be useful to have a few extra hands when putting this in.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If you’re doing a stand alone harness it’s super simple.
The swap should be very easy and go fast.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
If you’re doing a stand alone harness it’s super simple.
The swap should be very easy and go fast.
I think this is my plan since I didn't get the OE switch or CPU. I still need to do some more research, but I think my options are:

or

Possibly w/ or w/o Slee CPU. I don't think its actually necessary, but not sure yet.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think this is my plan since I didn't get the OE switch or CPU. I still need to do some more research, but I think my options are:

or

Possibly w/ or w/o Slee CPU. I don't think its actually necessary, but not sure yet.
I have the low range kit in my 3rd gen 4Runner. It does what it's supposed to do. Works every time

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I have the low range kit in my 3rd gen 4Runner. It does what it's supposed to do. Works every time
No CPU needed right? Just don't forget the locker is on hit the switch going 60 on the freeway right?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
No CPU needed.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Brian just put one of these sweet old school street racing shift indicators in the middle of the dash so you never forget your locker is on :beer2:

1620836637262.png

Congrats on snagging that axle!

I'll guess that whoever ripped the locker switch out weren't coming back for the axle/locker? I've seen a few clean installs of ARB lockers using the stock switch to activate them, or to just stick in the dash and sell an unlocked vehicle to people wrapped up in the Toyota craze who don't know any better. I have seen that on the 80's twice now.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I'm guessing the guy who pulled the switch wanted to take the axle but physically couldn't because the whole truck was sitting on it. When we showed up Monday it was lifted up on jackstands (welded wheels) and the axle was loose. So I'd bet the same guy called and asked for it to be lifted but was rainy and miserable so I'm guessing he decided nobody else would get it before him.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Brian just put one of these sweet old school street racing shift indicators in the middle of the dash so you never forget your locker is on :beer2:

View attachment 94962
Congrats on snagging that axle!

I'll guess that whoever ripped the locker switch out weren't coming back for the axle/locker? I've seen a few clean installs of ARB lockers using the stock switch to activate them, or to just stick in the dash and sell an unlocked vehicle to people wrapped up in the Toyota craze who don't know any better. I have seen that on the 80's twice now.
I probably will throw an indicator light on there. Not because I think I will forget, but because my son likes to push random buttons.
to take the axle but physically couldn't because the whole truck was sitting on it. When we showed up Monday it was lifted up on jackstands (welded wheels) and the axle was loose. So I'd bet the same guy called and asked for it to be lifted but was rainy and miserable so I'm guessing he decided nobody else would get it be
I think Jimmy is right. I was potentially gonna bail because the weather on Monday was crappy, but Jimmy encouraged me and I didn't see where else in my schedule for this week that it was gonna fit. We actually got really lucky and it didn't rain the whole time we were there and started back up as I was pulling out of the yard. The other person also did some wierd stuff like take all the backing nuts off of one side of the axle hub, so when we pulled it out the axle shaft came out of the dif. We were able to get it back in and use some of the other nuts to hold it in place for now.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
the toggle switch lights up when the locker is on.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
So trying to solve the first challenge, which shouldn't be this hard of a part to find. There are two plugs that go to the locker. One is the control plug, which seems quite common. 12VoltGuy calls this "standard":
1620958304723.png

Low Range Offroad calls this low pinion style (not terribly descriptive pics):

This is clearly what I have:
IMG_4089.jpeg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
The issue is with the sensor plug, which I guess reports on whether the locker is engaged or not. Mine is not what either company has as a plug for the sensor:
IMG_4095.jpegIMG_4099.jpegIMG_4097.jpegIMG_4096.jpeg
Here is the sensor (dif side) part from partsouq, but I cannot find the female side of this plug:
1620958722108.png

Any thoughts?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I was going to suggest another trip to the bone yard if it was on it when you grabbed the axle.