Project 80 Diagnosis

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member

I’d love to know if there’s an easier way to post videos on the forum. Here’s a YouTube link in the meantime.

Note the unidentified groaning sound. Also see my video description for a brief overview of current symptoms. More fun to come. Aaron and I will be hanging out at the garage messing with it today (Saturday) as I am not attending the color cruise. If anybody wants to come hang out shoot me a text. 443-223-9025

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
YouTube is the easiest way I am aware of to post videos.

For the sound, over video, it sure sounds like a power steering pump is groaning away as soon as you start up and until the video ends, but I imagine that isn't it. It also sounds similar to gear whine from the transfercase or trans, is the pulsing at .23 seconds a heatshield vibrating or do you think it is also associated with the issue?

Have you checked the condition of the shocks? If not could it be the that the lurching feeling is amplified by bad shocks?

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
My thought would be a idler pulley bearing causing the groaning or something in the belt drive system. For the lurching I would look at motor mounts. Also sounds like you may have a slight intermittent misfire. Possibly plug wires or something.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Do you seriously have 0 oil pressure? :oops:
Can you copy the YouTube video description here? The embedded video does not really link to YouTube. I would have to go find your video and then read the description.

have you checked your tranny fluid level?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Super hard to tell. Do you have a mechanics stethoscope? The rattle sounds like exhaust on the rear cross member to me.... keep us posted.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
also check the state of the fluid . Could just need a flush if no leaks. Could also have air bubbles.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
It has oil pressure the wire was just broken on the sender. It's now working and shows 3/4 up the gauge at idle! Whirring noise almost certainly from PS pump that's leaking everywhere.

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
Power steering. Fill it up and then do some lock to lock turns to get the air out and see if it gets better.

Probably lurching because it's on the cold idle and your in low range.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
he said the power steering is leaking everywhere so that needs to be addressed. Just say'n

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Replaced power steering pump, issue is still present. The sound is coming directly from that area. Going to (very temporarily) remove water pump/alternator belt and see what she sounds like. The only other component right where the sound is coming from is the alternator.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Update: The alternator, though functioning, was the source of the groaning sound and it’s now been swapped out with a nice quiet replacement unit. The truck has now seen a new(er) alternator, water pump, power steering pump, battery, idler pully, belts, fluids, oil pressure sender harness etc. It has an arb bumper provided by @jps8460 and some 33” tires/alternator provided by @60wag and wheels/roof rack provided by @Hants
Thanks again guys!!

The truck runs pretty well and I’d actually trust it to drive to the junk yard etc so I can pick up a few more odds and ends for it. I’ve updated the parts wish list in the for sale/wanted section and will post another video of the truck in its improved state in a day or two!

Last edited:

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Update 10/9/20

Killing time before leaving for Dave’s Cabin tomorrow morning. The truck is shaping up really well. Just finished plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button. Everything is oem except for the wires which are NGK. The truck is running pretty well at this point. The plugs and wires were in dire need of replacement. It’s made a huge improvement in the running condition. I didn’t have a distributor cap rubber seal or a “dizzy o-ring” but I’ll probably do them soon and get some extras to throw on the shelf. We’re stockpiling 80 parts and have a nice little collection going now. It much more fun to work on the trucks when you don’t have to stop and put in an order. Who knew?

The interior is miles ahead of where it was thanks to new door cards, window runs, seats etc etc etc. I’ll still want to find better seats but these are workable in the meantime. Off the top of my head, I think we’ll move next to brakes, a lift kit if I can find one for cheap, and new fluid in the diffs. I may have to mess with the lockers to get them to engage. I’m not sure they were used much if ever.

We had a second key made just in time for me to lose one of them. I’m glad I didn’t buy that house with the nice shop behind it. It’s in a part of town that is ten times worse than here and even here I’ve had a few things walk off when I had set them outside the open door temporarily. Just a chair and an old ladder, as far as I can tell... Last night I decided to capitalize on it and left some scrap metal and a contractor bucket etc as well as a modern gas can complete with safety spout that I hate. This morning everything was gone except the gas can lol

OHUZJ100

No one said criminals were smart I guess one man's trash is ahh well, another man's trash😆😂

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
They were smart enough to not take the gas can.