• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Power Window Issues Front PS 100 Series (2000)

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Last summer my front PS window stopped operation. As I am limited in what I can do on my rig right now I decided it was a good time to tack this project. So I bought a new motor and regulator assembly, took the old one out. Here is the problem, when I hit the switch to move the regulator up the motor engages and it goes up just fine, but when I hit the switch to have the window go down I get nothing. If I check the voltage at the connector (between motor and switch) I get 12 V when I put the switch in the up position. In the down position I get a short -0.4 V, but thats it.

Any ideas?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Also no operation from ds switch

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's likely in the wiring to the door (the portion that flexes at the hinge) if both switches don't work for down. I'd try to expose and inspect some of that if you can.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Well I have established that it is not the motor/regulator (reinstalled OE one since it works) and its not the switch (PS rear switch is same and has same issue, but both front and back PS switches correctly operate the rear PS window). I am working on checking the wires from door to body, but nothing seems like it is getting roughed up in there. I know on mud others have mentioned this for DS door, which I guess is a much more crowded boot.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
There are 5 wires coming from the PS switch (green, green w/ white line, yellow, blue, red-blue)
3e3J+HmBSoSeo+BgdxKXlg.jpg

Two (yellow and solid green) go to the window motor. I have continuity in these.
3E1Cr6XHQDKGxBDt7ytbjQ.jpg

Inside the cab a set of wires go to this orange connector. Here I have continuity in the red-blue and green w/ white line. I don't have continuity to the blue wire. So if I assume this is the same blue wire I should be able to jump it and get operation... Does this make sense. I am trying to think this through before cutting wires.
vEY%nnEdQL+hLu5wZGG6%A.jpg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
NM that is not the same blue wire (silver spot on orange connector vs none coming from switch). Now I just checked again and both wires at motor connector give +12 V. I am getting lost.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
It's likely in the wiring to the door (the portion that flexes at the hinge) if both switches don't work for down. I'd try to expose and inspect some of that if you can.
Well it took me almost a year to finally heed your advice. I worked my way backwards to determine it wasn't anything related to the PS door. As has been noted on mud many folks have had the wires inside the DS door get cut. This makes more sense since the driver door gets opened and closed the most and has the most wires running through it. So I pulled driver door panel, kick panel, and the surprisingly difficult to remove foot rest. I disconnected the three plugs coming from the driver loom (one yellow - windows at minimum) and two that go directly to the junction panel. I pulled the loom back up into the door, which requires some McGiver pushing of a little tab that holds the loom in place by the lower door hinge. Once I cut the electrical tape back so I could free up the boot I was able to slide it back and found this:
IMG_3846.jpeg
As it turns out red w/ blue stripe is what goes to front PS door and I am pretty sure red w/ yellow strip goes to rear DS door (which also stopped working). 3 other wires had cuts but still had continuity from switch plug to the plug inside the kick panel, so I just taped those. For the two completely cut wires I spliced in a new small piece of wire. It may not look amazing but I can now roll down my front PS and rear DS windows!!! I also know this is an issue now and I am basically an expert and removing my door panels now, so will be easy to check this in the future if needed.
IMG_3847.jpeg
You may or not realize it, but you use your front PS window allot when you pull up next to folks on the trail. Also my wife will be happy to have an operational window again. This was a very satisfying fix although it took me forever to finally do it. My wife recently asked me how long it would take to fix the problem if my window stopped working :oops:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Tomorrow I will check on the rear PS door which has occasional issues that vary if that door is open/close, which maybe means it is in the door there... This is my distraction since I am not heading to Moab with yall this week.