Possible knuckle rebuild party?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
x1,000,000,000,000 Hard NO to Marlin inner seals on a full time rig. They groove the inner axle. If you have a part time rig, well, but a newer truck its old! LOL

x1,000,000,000,000 Hard YES on the Cruiser Outfitters kit. One and done.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
@subzali I have also heard that the Marlin seals aren't the choice for daily driving, but it's been without an support argument. I daily drive mine and ran the regular seals with the Cruiser Outfitters kit last time I rebuilt knuckles. There was noticeable leakage after 20k miles of daily driving and the occasional (6-8x per year) light wheeling/camping trip.

I was going to try the Marlins this time just for experimentation purposes. What have you heard about them with regard to daily driving?

@fyffer I have the same approach - even if something looks ok, I tend to want to "baseline" it anyway. I trust things more when I've done it with my own hands. And it really helps me check off boxes when troubleshooting.
For Daily driving a part-time rig it should be fine. But reports are that the marlin seals wear down the axles on a full-time rig.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Any recommendations for the moly grease? I’ve been using the Lucas green in the drive shafts and u-joints.
B0CB0922-32AC-4917-9C03-C058FE78FB30.jpeg

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
For Daily driving a part-time rig it should be fine. But reports are that the marlin seals wear down the axles on a full-time rig.
So I bought my 60, 3 years ago to this month. From @rover67, it was not only his DD but he did some hardcore and regular Trails as well to sum it up. When/ How often he rebuild the knuckles I do not know. But that is what was in there and I trust his knowledge and judgement to just about everyone in the Club. In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO).

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So I bought my 60, 3 years ago to this month. From @rover67, it was not only his DD but he did some hardcore and regular Trails as well to sum it up. When/ How often he rebuild the knuckles I do not know. But that is what was in there and I trust his knowledge and judgement to just about everyone in the Club. In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO).
I don’t think I’m arguing with anybody. There’s at least two guys with 60s posting to this thread including you, and since those are part-time then the Marlin seals are great. But Johnny Utah has an 80 with full time and for those the Marlin seals are questionable. Someone asked about the Marlin seals and it’s not a one size fits all answer. That’s all.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Any recommendations for the moly grease? I’ve been using the Lucas green in the drive shafts and u-joints.
View attachment 107485
Oh boy here you go with the backwoods goop again (you might be able to search old threads for a laugh)…

Personally I use valvoline lithium for ujoints. Off the shelf pretty much everywhere.

For moly I also use valvoline I think it’s called multi-vehicle and says ford Lincoln mercury on it. Bought like 4 tubs of it to do the front axle service inside the steering knuckles. You can always take a tub back if you don’t end up needing it.

But I also subscribe mostly to the “any grease is better than no grease” camp, but OTOH I have a driveshaft with 220,000 miles on it that didn’t need new u-joints when I got it checked out.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

simps80

Rising Sun Member
If I could make a recommendation to the rebuild kit, I would buy and use Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty Inner Axle ECO Seals vs. the standard.
I did, just my 2 cents.

I would definitely not recommend marlin seals on a daily driver AWD stock 80 unless they fixed their early on problems

Those seals wore grooves on shafts that leaked with less than 15k post rebuild
And that at the time was a sub-110k 80
Junk.

That’s personal experience

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Marlin seals for 60 series and oem for 80s used to be the standard practice.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member