Possible knuckle rebuild party?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I got all the parts I need to rebuild the knuckles on my 60. They appear to just barely be leaking, but it's a new truck to me and I've done some sand and water crossings this summer so I figured I may as well just do it and call it "baselining". I'll be heading out at the end of the month for the Steamboat Color Cruise and would like to do the knuckles after that - some time in October.

If anybody else wants to join we could make a party out of it. I can host at my shop, but we can only fit 1.5 vehicles inside and maybe 2-3 out front.

Who's got a knuckle rebuild in their future?

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I don't have to rebuild mine, but I like hanging out and kindly telling people that they're doing it wrong.

all kidding aside, I can assist anyone with my limited knowledge and excellent labor skills

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Following. The Club could use a "WBPP" (Wheel Bearing Packing Party) like we used to do before CM. Despite teh name, it was mostly knuckle rebuilds.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for offering this up but my rigs are good to go. Thinking back on it, I bet I've done over 10 knuckle jobs over the years. A parts washer is very handy for this job and hold your tongue just right to get that long birf to seat!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@Telly I have @DanielChase old enzyme parts washer but it needs a new heating element. I bought all new nuts and bolts already anyway - those are always the most tedious things to clean. I should probably just fix the washer so other folks can use it though. No stand up wire wheel either.

I’ll be pressing in new studs and installing new rotors but I don’t have a press. Maybe somebody has one they can bring if others want to engage in that kind of “while you’re in there” work.

@Doughboy Come hang out, be the manager. Personally I’ve only done it once (under @Stuckinthe80s tutelage) so I can use some guidance.

@Inukshuk I have heard there were knuckle/wheel bearing parties every year in the past, so this was kind of in that spirit. My space is small but I figured I’d offer anyway.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
The wheel bearing packing party was usually held about a month before cruise moab

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
The wheel bearing packing party was usually held about a month before cruise moab
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm not shooting for an exact replica of what was done in the past. My knuckles need rebuilt and I thought I'd throw out an invite to see if others wanted to join. Club camaraderie or something like that.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Super kind of you to offer your space though. Sounds like a good time. Like I always say every easy task is just a broken bolt away from becoming a three day ordeal 😁
Hence I bought all new hardware 😉

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
@OTRAMM on IH8MUD has a very nice Video series I used for my single party, 1st time ever Knuckle rebuild.
A few Weeks ago, did good on recent trail event.

Just saying

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Vote for the best date:

Looking at 10/8 or 10/22, both Saturdays. If the weather is nice, we can fit one truck in the garage, one truck halfway in, leave the door up and have another truck or two going outside. If the weather is crummy we can pull one truck inside, close the door (there's a big heater), and all pitch in to knock out one truck at a time.

If we have some knowledgeable folks on hand, how many trucks could we get through in a long day? Say 10AM - 10PM or later?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
It’ll have to be 10/8 for me. As long as my parts arrive before then.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I'll probably be working Saturday, but I can swing by after work. Normally get off around 12-2 ish l. My record for a complete rebuild (new rotors, bearings, birfs,ect) is 4 hours. But that went really really smooth with no issue. My last one I did took me 2 days.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I'll probably be working Saturday, but I can swing by after work. Normally get off around 12-2 ish l. My record for a complete rebuild (new rotors, bearings, birfs,ect) is 4 hours. But that went really really smooth with no issue. My last one I did took me 2 days.
My first one took 2 days. No major issues, I just went slow and steady because I had never done it. I probably spent a total of 4 hours reading instructions over and over.

I think 3-4 trucks could get done if we start early and don’t stop until the work is done.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Will you guys give me a recommendation on doing my birfield joints? My rig has 196k miles on it and the previous owner said Robbie @powderpig had done the birfs and and a tune up at 175k.

I know there are a ton of variables but How long do these jobs last? Should I go ahead and do it so I know it’s done or maybe wait???

Thanks for the tips.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Will you guys give me a recommendation on doing my birfield joints? My rig has 196k miles on it and the previous owner said Robbie @powderpig had done the birfs and and a tune up at 175k.

I know there are a ton of variables but How long do these jobs last? Should I go ahead and do it so I know it’s done or maybe wait???

Thanks for the tips.

Getting any sludge/crud/leakage out of the back of the knuckle ball? Radial wet marks on the inside of the tire? Hubs getting hotter than they used to? Manual hubs difficult to engage?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Good questions. Yes, no, I don’t know, and I have full time 4x4.

I’ll post some pictures and see what you guys think.

Thanks.