Plan B. Across Colorado. August, 2022.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
So aside from all the other planned travels for 2022, work was kind enough to give me some time off this Summer. The original plan was to head up to Seattle with the 4runner and spend some time visiting mom's fam, along with a bit of exploring. Well, as summer got into full swing, realized that gas prices was really affecting this plan ( topped off the tank for the summer solstice get together and at that point, gas was well over half my budget). So after talking with family from both Seattle and Salt Lake, I honed in CO.

This was my Plan B.

13 days out. 900+ miles. 700+ pics. One lost ham radio antenna and one bad radiator cap. A great mix of old and new places.

Creede has my heart. Marble is just a fantastic spot ( for all the years that I zipped on by going to Proffitt's).

This gave me a great idea of where I want to head with the 4runner.

@Old40Dog , thanks for hanging out. Was good to catch up:cool:

A night up at the cabin seemed a perfect way to start my Plan B trek through CO. Probably my most favorite view in the state. Mt. Blue Sky (formerly Mt Evans) from the drive into the ranch. I got up to the property around 11:30 am. To be honest, I didn't do much other than soak in the day.
1.jpg

2.jpg

In the Upper Meadows of the property. I've spent a lot of time at this spot. Rosedale in the distance.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

@DanS joined me for the evening at the property. We headed out to a high point overlooking the ranch to enjoy the sunset.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

:beer::beer:

bh4rnnr

Sangre de Christo's.

Hillside CO.

After meeting up with @Old40Dog at his place outside Cotopaxi, we continued the trek South to Hillside, CO. I forgot how bumpy the road to the Cloverdale mine is. Heck, it broke Dave's leaf spring on his trailer. But we managed to get to camp just as the sun was setting. Couldn't argue setting up the 4runner next to a mountain stream. Was good to be having some cold beer around the fire with a good pal. Fun to think of all the adventures. We both probably had a few but settled in for the night.

Making our way to camp. The road in is a slow one. Nothing technical. Just rocky.
11.jpg

Looking North. Wet Mountains to the West.
12.jpg

Camp in site.
13.jpg

Was a moody drive through the old burnt forest.
14.jpg

15.jpg

We lucked out and were able to get a spot at Rainbow Lake. Eagle Peak (13,205 ft) in the distance. Dave spent some time looking that one up.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Morning light. Good views as well:)

20.jpg

:beer: :beer:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't know if you get paid for you photography Perry, but you should. And you if do, they need to pay you more. Great job my man!

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Love this! Thanks Perry.

bh4rnnr

I don't know if you get paid for you photography Perry, but you should. And you if do, they need to pay you more. Great job my man!

Thanks for the kind words! Don't get paid for my work- though do make a little here and there with poster sales. Would be nice to get to a point to be making even a bit off my work... In due time I guess.

Did start my blog after my Open Heart Surgery with that goal in mind....

www.wanderinthewest.org

Thanks for sharing this Perry!

Perry, Fantastic trip, photos and description. I thought I was reading a TLCA Mag story!!!

Thanks guys! Still lots of pics to post:)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great photos. Every time I see the thread title, I think you were having a wild time across Colorado requiring next-day prevention.

Plan-B.jpg

bh4rnnr

Cloverdale Basin

Fireweed soaking up the morning light.
23.jpg

24.jpg

Onward to the Cloverdale Mine. I hopped in with Dave and we continued past camp for a few rough miles to the Cloverdale Mine.
26.jpg

Coming into the main set of buildings for the Cloverdale Mine. Lost of neat stuff to check out.
27.jpg

Along the old grade to the main part of the Cloverdale Mine. Funny, this stretch of road was better than most of the drive up to it.
28.jpg

Cloverdale mine. A neat spot.
29.jpg

Lots of old machinery around the mill.
30.jpg

32.jpg

Mine was open but didn't go in. Alone, plus the mine was filled with water and ice.
33.jpg

Views from the mine entrance.
34.jpg

35.jpg

bh4rnnr

Cloverdale Basin and Medano Pass

After checking out more of the Cloverdale Mine (Dave took a nap), we headed up to Silver Lake. A wonderful hike up to a high alpine lake. Views were fantastic.
37.jpg

Silver Lake.
38.jpg

Looking East towards Hillside and the Wet Mountains.
40.jpg

Popular Mechanics from 1978, a Jack Daniels can and a birthday card.
41.jpg

42.jpg

Last evening on Rainbow Lake.
43.jpg

More views of the Wet Mountains as we came down from camp.
45.jpg

At the trail head for Medano Pass. Dave went back to his place in Cotopaxi to fix a broken leaf spring on his trailer. This was a first time for me. Always read about this pass but never got down this way.
46.jpg

Finally on Forest Service land. For the first few miles in from the East, your passing through private land (owner makes that well known), then just past that, a Wolf Sanctuary.
47.jpg

Medano Pass.
48.jpg

Some fine views ( and camps sites) as you come into Great Sand Dunes National Park.
49.jpg

This was a little intimidating, being alone. Poked the ground in a few spots with a stick and it seemed solid...
52.jpg

First evening at the Sand Dunes.
54.jpg

Views from camp the next day. Slept in till 9am that morning. Something I don't usually do.
55.jpg

Last edited:

lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
Awesome pics Perry. Thanks for sharing.

riderjgs

Lifted

Cloverdale Basin and Medano Pass

After checking out more of the Cloverdale Mine (Dave took a nap), we headed up to Silver Lake. A wonderful hike up to a high alpine lake. Views were fantastic.
View attachment 107105

Silver Lake.
View attachment 107106

Looking East towards Hillside and the Wet Mountains.
View attachment 107107

Popular Mechanics from 1978, a Jack Daniels can and a birthday card.
View attachment 107108

View attachment 107109

Last evening on Rainbow Lake.
View attachment 107110

More views of the Wet Mountains as we came down from camp.
View attachment 107111

At the trail head for Medano Pass. Dave went back to his place in Cotopaxi to fix a broken leaf spring on his trailer. This was a first time for me. Always read about this pass but never got down this way.
View attachment 107112

Finally on Forest Service land. For the first few miles in from the East, your passing through private land (owner makes that well known), then just past that, a Wolf Sanctuary.
View attachment 107113

Medano Pass.
View attachment 107114

Some fine views ( and camps sites) as you come into Great Sand Dunes National Park.
View attachment 107115

This was a little intimidating, being alone. Poked the ground in a few spots with a stick and it seemed solid...
View attachment 107116

First evening at the Sand Dunes.
View attachment 107117

Views from camp the next day. Slept in till 9am that morning. Something I don't usually do.
View attachment 107118

Check out the front hubs on that old Dodge van. Be interesting to know details of the 4wd conversion, especially front driveshaft given engine placement on that beast.
Proudly sporting your Wanderin' sticker on the Pig.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
awesome Perry thanks for sharing. Really love the photos and story here. Wish we coulda got out withya.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Check out the front hubs on that old Dodge van. Be interesting to know details of the 4wd conversion, especially front driveshaft given engine placement on that beast.
Good eye ! That van just became Way more interesting!

bh4rnnr

Dave and I were talking about that old Dodge on the drive up. Wondering how it made it up there with the road so rough. Dave noticed the 4wd conversion right away as I was taking pics.

Aww, awesome!:giggle:

awesome Perry thanks for sharing. Really love the photos and story here. Wish we coulda got out withya.

Thanks Marco! Would have been fun to have you guys along!

View attachment 107131

Another photo of that 4WD converted A100 (it's probably an A108, long wheel base) up in Cloverdale Basin.

The old Dodge make for a great photo subject as you come into main buildings.

Awesome shots, thank you!

Thanks man!

bh4rnnr

Great Sand Dunes.

Fine views and a moody evening. Rain would welcome me back to camp.
56.jpg

Medano Creek and the Sand Dunes. According to one park ranger this year is the wettest the Great Sand Dunes have been since the 1950's. Great to see so much water in Medano Creek this late in the year.
57.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Another fine evening around camp. Dave and I enjoyed a few beers, listened to music ( had the place to ourselves) and just enjoyed the night.
62.jpg

Woke up early the next morning, our last in the dunes, to catch the sunrise.
Morning light on Medano Creek.
64.jpg

Hiking the dunes. Two steps forward, five back.
65.jpg

First of the morning light.
68.jpg

Morning light.
69.jpg

Good morning!
70.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Great Sand Dunes and my love for Creede, CO.

A fine morning on the dunes. Hiking into the dunes for a morning sunrise is a fantastic thing.
Though wonderfully challenging. I got as far in as I could then parked myself for the show.
71.jpg

73.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

Morning light on Medano Creek.
77.jpg

78.jpg

A late evening in Creede, CO. I love this town. Everything seemed to shut down around 7pm. Except for the Pizzeria.
79.jpg

Commadore Mine. Creede, CO
80.jpg

81.jpg

87.jpg

Last edited: