Pick and pull day down south?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Seeing if anyone wants to go to Littleton U Pull with me sometime soon. I don't think they have any Land Cruisers or Tacos but they do have 4 3rd gens, a 00 Tundra and an 02 Sequoia. I'm going there to grab some LCAs off one of those 3rd gens hopefully. It would be nice if one of them has arms I can get off easy but I wouldn't be surprised if all of them have seized alignment cams and I don't have a sawzall. If need be I'll happily pay for a diablo carbide blade. Also if you have anything you are interested in grabbing there I'll happily return the help.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Not all cam bolts are seized. I bought some “just in case” when I completely rebuilt the front of my 98, and returned all of them

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I'm going to make sure I give the replacements a good slathering of marine grease when I put the new arms in. Most people report that it doesn't wash out as quickly as antiseize. Definitely hoping for the best but figured I should protect my $2 entry fee investment and prepare for the worst.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
antiseize.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well went ahead and dropped by the yard on my way back from scouting. Unfortunately I'm not so lucky with this yard. 2 of the 4runners both had passenger arms pulled, drat. One had been in a front end wreck and the frame was obviously bent, figured it wasn't even worth pulling the tools out to try and pull them as they could be really bound up in there, near as I could tell the bend in the frame was right over the driver arm. Arm could be bent too for all I know and that would be bad news. 4th one had a piece of the middle frame cutout and the front of the frame was sitting on the arms, not to mention there were parts littered all around that I would have had to move to even get to the arms. Yard employee did offer to use the engine hoist to pick the frame up for me but figured I would go look at some other yards and if I come up dry I might come back and see if that is doable. On a positive note though I did get a really good look at a torn apart dash to assess my idea for a head unit/front vent swap so at least I got something for my $2 admission fee, overall a win in my book.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well drat, went back to that yard and tried to get those LCAs. Used the hoist on that one truck, got it up in the air no problem. Driver side LCA came out just fine, cam bolts were in quite good shape so I have spares on that. Passenger rear cam bolt came out fine. Passenger front is frozen >< Hit it with ATF and PB and moved to the one with the bent frame as I suspect the passenger side of that frame wasn't bent. Cam plates looked good on that one but alas same story, passenger front is frozen (also the LBJ stud was frozen into the LCA so I did remove the bolts holding that into the spindle). Went back to the other one and PB+ATF hadn't gotten it unfrozen yet. Another guy at the yard needed a big breaker bar so I let him use my 1/2" and he said he would bring a grinder in to try and help me with that frozen cam (we were just going to grind one of the frame tabs off) but unfortunately the yard doesn't allow grinders in there (fire hazard I guess?). So yeah does anyone have a sawzall and can come to Littleton Upull with me sometime? I will buy a diablo carbide blade. It would be a huge help.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Alright went back at the yard trying to use a method I saw on t4r that creates a makeshift press out of a cam bolt and nut, an axle nut and a crescent wrench. One didn't budge even with that method. The other moved but it didn't break it free enough to remove the rest of the way. Finally found a guy who was willing to sawzall it out for 10 bucks though so now I have both arms. Also asked while I was there and apparently if I was to find an elocker rear axle (the whole assembly) they only charge 90 bucks. I'm sure it will be a little more with all the wiring and the computer. I clarified elocker and they were still fine with that. Now I have to hawk over their facebook page and hope I can get free time if I see another 4runner pop up on there and hope it's an elocker.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Did they by chance have a 90-95 4runner? I'm looking for bucket seats for my 94 pickup.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Did they by chance have a 90-95 4runner? I'm looking for bucket seats for my 94 pickup.
Nope, they only had 3rd gens. I think one of the yards in town has a 95 though.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Denver location of U Pull and Pay has 2 2nd gens actually. Also three third gens. Dash and lockers (if they had them) are probably gone though so nothing I absolutely need (I could maybe use rear control arms but I'm pretty sure at least one of the ones at the Littleton yard still have those).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If you have an XtraCab make sure to get seats from a 2-door 4Runner if you want them both to flip/slide forward enough to climb into the back. And for extra style points you want the sport seats, which are the ones with lumbar, side wings and the tilting lower bolster. I found a set for my old '91. Anyone who's had them knows they are just the best seats Toyota ever put in a truck. Plus all four bolts on the passenger side line up and 3 of the 4 on driver, only a small mod to get the fourth (I started out life with the stock 60/40 split bench). Took me 5 years of searching of find them back when they were only slightly rare in the early aughts. Happy hunting! I wish I'd have saved them. The Tacoma seats suck real bad.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
If you have an XtraCab ake sure to get seats from a 2-door 4Runner if you want them both to flip/slide forward enough to climb into the back. And for extra style points you want the sport seats, which are the ones with lumbar, side wings and the tilting lower bolster. I found a set for my old '91. Anyone who's had them knows they are just the best seats Toyota ever put in a truck. Plus all four bolts on the passenger side line up and 3 of the 4 on driver, only a small mod to get the fourth. Took me 5 years of searching of find them back when they were only slightly rare in the early aughts. Happy hunting! I wish I'd have saved them. The Tacoma seats suck real bad.
OMG this is not going to be an easy find. 😵😵

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
@VoodooBlue_Vixen

To give you some idea, $1100 on eBay with 16 watchers currently.

😵‍💫🤯
I could buy a set of REALLY nice reclining sport racing buckets for that!!!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
😵‍💫🤯
I could buy a set of REALLY nice reclining sport racing buckets for that!!!
Yes, you could get Recaros and they still wouldn't be as good. The set I found were from a pickup, too, so both seats had the foot lever for the back seat passenger to trigger the flip, too.