• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Pearl Pass and fall photography - Sept 19-20 or 26-27?

Anyone interested in a Pearl Pass / fall photography trip in late Sept? Pearl has been high on my to-do list for a long time and connects two of my favorite fall photo locations so I'd like to give it a shot, but don't want to do it solo. Seems like colors are changing a bit early this year, and with the possibility of snow any time I think either of these dates would be OK depending on forecast and availability.

I'm thinking Friday heading to Crested Butte and make camp along Brush Creek Rd. Saturday I'll probably be up early for sunrise photography maybe up along Gothic Rd, then shoot for a mid-morning start on Pearl Pass toward Aspen. Hopefully make camp for Saturday along the north side of Pearl near Ashcroft, photograph sunset either there or up Little Annie Rd, etc. Maybe explore photograph Express Creek Rd the next morning before heading back to Denver Sunday afternoon.

If anyone is tentatively interested, let me know and we can see how the weather and fall colors play out over the next two weeks...

Attachments

• _DSC9618.jpg
    _DSC9618.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 133

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
Possible for me. We’ve been talking about getting over to CB to mountain bike the 401 trail before the end of the season, so we could tack this on. What’s the driving like? I ask because if we go we might bring our 4x4 Sprinter rather than the Cruiser.

Can’t say from personal experience, but most sites give it a Difficult rating for some of the rock fields and a few off camber sections

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
There's a group running Pearl Pass, Italian Creek and Taylor Pass this weekend if your interested?

Thanks RayRay - not sure if I have the clearance for Taylor and wouldn’t want to slow the group down (I prefer to go slow and take lots of pics)

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
The bits will get dull when they get hot. I use some oil (used or otherwise) to lubricate the hole. You can also spray wd40 or something else on it to help but I think oil lasts a little longer. Also, this would be a good post for the "What have you done to your rig today" thread.
Those sliders look great on your taco! I wish mine had the bump out on the back like those do!

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
The bits will get dull when they get hot. I use some oil (used or otherwise) to lubricate the hole. You can also spray wd40 or something else on it to help but I think oil lasts a little longer. Also, this would be a good post for the "What have you done to your rig today" thread.
Those sliders look great on your taco! I wish mine had the bump out on the back like those do!
Huh... deleted the post... not sure how it got here... having some issues with the forum today. And... I was using WD40... I do think it was just the heat.

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Are you leaning toward one weekend or the other yet? My schedule is in flux and I need to do a little work to the rig but would be interested in going if everything lines up.

I think with last week’s snow I’m gonna have to scrap this plan. Latest update I read on Facebook was a 2nd-hand report that there was a stretch at the top blocked by snow on the Aspen side. Will probably reevaluate my photography plans too based on all the smoke, sadly.