• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Pawnee Buttes Tomorrow (2/6/2021)

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
1612650432913.png

My wife and I are planning to run out to Pawnee National Grasslands tomorrow to check out the Buttes in the winter. Thought is to leave Fort Collins around 12:30 and get there about 2PM when the temp for the day is at its warmest point. Not a bad drive for anyone on the front range really. If you are coming up from Denver, Fort Morgan makes a nice spot to grab some food and gas.

Thinking we could meet in Ault, or at an intersection further out if anyone is interested in joining us. We are considering doing the 4.5 mile out and back hike at the Buttes, but even on a good day the winds in the grasslands are strong, and tomorrow is predicted to have some cutting winds. With temps in the 45-50* range and my wife being ok with wind or ok with cold (but not both at the same time) we're planning to call and audible.

It's just gravel roads so nothing really around wheeling, but some fun off-shoot trails out there to explore. The parts of the grasslands we have been to are flat out beautiful, and this time of year we haven't experienced having to contend with any crowds. Pretty amazing geography and we always bring binoculars to take in the wildlife.

One of the best places to take in meteor showers, get away from people, camp out, do a little target shooting, etc.

With snow in the forecast for next week it's a nice time to get out to check it out when the roads are clear.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Megan and I recently visited. Great country side no doubt. If I had the weekend free I’d join in for sure.

Cheers and have fun!!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Oh man I have been wanting to get out there, but tomorrow is no good for me. Gotta get some stuff done here.

Btw I got the new springs on my rig and the other ones are ready for you.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Winds in the forecast were more than we wanted to deal with today, it looked so nice in town but when we checked Fort Morgan's forecast they were dealing with sustained 35-40mph and gusts at 55 according to NOAA. We weren't wanting to do that long of a drive without getting out and doing some hiking in the middle so we tabled it for another time.

We're always up for this trip down the road, so I'll repost this when we come back around to it.

On a positive note, got all new brake fluid into the 100 this afternoon with the help of a friend.

Last edited:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Anyone looking to do this in the summer, it is still worth it (though obviously warmer). There are a few roads that would be quite painful without 4WD too.

View attachment 92835

Is it possible to get to decent camping this time of year with a RWD Sprinter on KO2s? I could bring the Cruiser, but our old T1N has a webasto heater on a thermostat!

pskhaat

Lifted

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Definitely still up for going, just waiting out better weather.

The buttes trails are closed March to June (if I remember right) for nesting raptors.