• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Passing Colorado Emissions fj40

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy,

Moved out here to this great state this summer, been traveling and starting a new job since... figure it is high time to get the 40 registered and tagged. I have my carb set for lower altitude, Jim C. rebuild, and I have not adjusted the timing, it is a late model fj60 electric ignition and fat dizzy. Otherwise it is a stock 76 fj40 with a 85 fj60 engine.

My questions are, do I need to have the stock equipment in place when I get checked? Should I rejet the carb now? What happens if I fail, is there a time limit to getting it fixed? Any tricks or tips to getting it through on my first try? This is my DD so I cant afford much down time.

I am just trying to avoid any huge delay or unexpected drama come test time.

Thanks in advance for your time-

Rezarf (Drew)

IanB

Emissions is easier to pass than you think. When I first bought the 40 it failed, I took it to the station at Folsom and Arapahoe in Boulder, he tweaked it and I passed. And I passed when my air rail was so rusted out it was non-existent, my carb was actually black inside from backfiring, etc etc. I took it to that particular service station because while calling around looking for a mechanic to help several other mechanics in Boulder recomended him for getting a vehicle through emissions. He has the testing equipment and knows how to tweak, he didn't fix anything he just got me past the test.

If you take it in and fail you can get retested for free in a certain time period if you have a receipt for work performed on the vehicle to fix emissions. If you fail and don't want to spend the money on a mechanic Bruce (60wag) is very good with emissions systems and can probably give you a good idea where to look if you tell him the numbers from the test. You will want the factory emissions manual if you do the work yourself (edit: I have the 1976 emissions manual)

(edit: just saw what year your 40 is in the sig) Once you pass the test register it as a collectors vehicle. No more emissions!

As always, if you need help bring it over.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Drew,

IIRC, they will check for unleaded fill restrictor and air pump. Othere than that, you just need to beat the numbers...

When I lived in Boulder I had to hop on the wheel dyno. I don't think they will let you on w/ 35's, so you'll need to borrow a set of skinnies.

Clean oil, plugs and air filter help. Backing off on your timing helps. Setting idle UP (~950 RPM) helps generate sufficient vacuum in the intake to help your numbers as well.

Good Luck!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
What Ian was saying about the collectors vehicle is great. BUT it only counts when you get the 5 year plate. With the 5Year plate, you never have to get emissions again. With the 1 year collector plate you do. That should make it an easy choice.

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
I also have a Louisville '76, tranplanted from sea level. Mine runs a header straight to a muffler, no other smog equipment at all. Test is pretty easy, I took it to the emissions place in Boulder up by the airport and failed the first time. Took the test results over to Charley's in north Boulder http://www.charleysgarage.com/aboutCG.asp and $36 worth of carb adjustment later I passed no problem. Then you just plunk down the cash for the 5 year collector plate, and you're done.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:
What Ian was saying about the collectors vehicle is great. BUT it only counts when you get the 5 year plate. With the 5Year plate, you never have to get emissions again. With the 1 year collector plate you do. That should make it an easy choice.

What is the big deal w/ e-testing? I pass no problem...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I desmogged my cruiser years ago, and have all the stuff lying in a box in the garage... air pump and hoses... does that all need to be there to pass a visual inspection or anthing? I would like to get it as close to passing the first time as possible.

I am running headers, no air rail, no nothing really.

Anyone on the carb rejet
?

Thanks in advance-

Drew <><

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
Rezarf said:
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I desmogged my cruiser years ago, and have all the stuff lying in a box in the garage... air pump and hoses... does that all need to be there to pass a visual inspection or anthing? I would like to get it as close to passing the first time as possible.

I am running headers, no air rail, no nothing really.

Anyone on the carb rejet
?

Thanks in advance-

Drew <><

In a word: NO. As I mentioned, my '76 is also completely desmogged. I passed emissions with just a simple carb adjustment. I would say just take it in and try, you'll probably fail, but it doesn't cost you any extra, and the read out will tell a mechanic, or you if you're way smarter than me, exactly what they need to do. My sea-level carb passed and runs great without being rejetted, and passed the 2nd time no problem.
-Matt

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If they know what they are doing, the emissions tester guys WILL look for the airrail and smog pump. Matt, you got lucky.

My 40 fails every year. The tags expired in September -- I'm waiting until January so that it will be 25 years old and I can get the 5-year plates (it's a 1981 model).

TJ, they shouldn't have put you on the rollers. Vehicles from 1981 and older require tail pipe emission tests only.

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
Hulk said:
If they know what they are doing, the emissions tester guys WILL look for the airrail and smog pump. Matt, you got lucky.

My 40 fails every year. The tags expired in September -- I'm waiting until January so that it will be 25 years old and I can get the 5-year plates (it's a 1981 model).

TJ, they shouldn't have put you on the rollers. Vehicles from 1981 and older require tail pipe emission tests only.

I don't know, I thought '76 was old enough for tail pipe test only. Anyway, I had it in there twice, and the fact that my entire exhaust system consists of an old SOR header and a muffler never came up. Maybe just take it where I took it. It's the emissions test place on airport road in Boulder. They seem to put a lot of time into testing the gas tank cap, maybe that's all that they covered in their training. Anyway, now I've got the 5 year plates, so I don't plan to worry about it again until 2009

I did see the lady nearly put an old full size dodge through the wall last week when I was getting my wife's suby tested. Very big probably early '80s Dodge with a plow hitch and some tall skinny muds on it, with a very straight and clean body that the guy had obviously put some time into. She was trying to drive it off the rollers, and had the back end bouncing from side to side pretty wildly. I wanted to talk to the guy about his truck, but he went running out of the waiting room with this horrified look on his face.

Anyway, back on topic. To me a potentially failed test is worth it, you'll either pass or know exactly what you need to pass.
-Matt

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
76 only needs tail pipe test.

76 is eligible for collector's plates. I have never seen or heard of (until Ken's post) anything but the 5 year variety. Unless they change the laws, once you get the collector plates you never have to be tested again, only exception is whenever a vehicle changes hands (or moves here from out of the AIR program area).

The only equipment you MUST have is smog pump - it must be hooked up and appear to be functioning, whether it is or not. Nothing else is required. Yes they will check for unleaded sized filler and cat, but that was not introduced until the 1979 model year, so it doesn't apply to a 76.

All the other suggestions apply: Fresh oil change, new air filter element, new plugs, set timing to factory 7° BTDC, increase idle speed some. Do not be tempted to lean out the idle mixture: that will produce "lean miss" and fail you. You should be able to get away with it under the numbers with sea level jetting, I did for decades in my 76. Good luck!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks again everyone.

I will give it a shot after a little tuning up this week.

I appreciate all your help. I will let you know how it goes.

Drew <><

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Hulk - My dad just registered an 81 bimmer and got 5 yr plates - don't ask me why, but they count 1981 as one of the years, so it's 25 years old this year.

Hulk said:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
74fj40 said:
Hulk - My dad just registered an 81 bimmer and got 5 yr plates - don't ask me why, but they count 1981 as one of the years, so it's 25 years old this year.

Ige told me that this was true. I've been too lazy to call to verify this. I'll probably still wait until January, since I'm busy as heck through the end of the year.

C

COMITX

Collector's Plates

Hi Everyone,

I'm making my return to the Denver area from Texas and would like to resurrect this old post.

Is the 5 year collector plate rule still in tact about not having to get emissions testing done after passing?

Is it still true that all I need is to have an air pump that appears to be working to get it to pass?

I'm considering a trade down here for a FJ40 and need to know the answers to these questions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting everyone once I get settled in up there.

Ken

IanB

Yes, pass emissions once, get collectors plates, no more emmissions.

Air pump depends on who does the emissions inspection. Technically yes, all equipment must be on the truck and functional. In reality, very few emissions employees have a clue what is supposed to be under the hood of a 25-30 year old vehicle.

Also, only certain counties have emissions, its not state wide, so it would depend on where you end up living.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
COMITX said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm making my return to the Denver area from Texas and would like to resurrect this old post.

Is the 5 year collector plate rule still in tact about not having to get emissions testing done after passing?

Is it still true that all I need is to have an air pump that appears to be working to get it to pass?

I'm considering a trade down here for a FJ40 and need to know the answers to these questions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting everyone once I get settled in up there.

Ken
Hi Ken, welcome back! Yes, the 5 year collector plates are still available. Under current regulations, once you get them, you do not need to go through smog again. This can change; there have been rumblings within the legislature of doing away with emission stations and relying entirely on mobile sniffer vans which would test your tailpipe emissions as you drive by. The problem with this system is that you could now get nailed just by driving around.

In order to pass the current system, required equipment will depend on the model year of your 40. For example, if your year originally had a smog pump, you must have one and have it at least *appear* to be working to pass the visual. 1981 and older does not need to go to envirotest, you can get a non-treadmill test at an independent station if you wish. If your 40 is 1979 or newer, it will also need the cat and smaller filler neck. For technical reasons, you do NOT need EGR in Colorado, even if the rig was so equipped from the factory. Also, none of the factory smog spaghetti needs to be present. Under all circumstances, you still have to pass actual emissions, either treadmill at envirotest or independent for 1981 and older. Note that only CO and HC are tested, unlike some states where they also test for NxOx.

Good luck and happy cruisin'!

C

COMITX

Thanks Ian & Jeff,

It sounds hopeful. When I get back, I'll probably be asking about the best independent shops to go to. It sounds like Charley's in Boulder might be worth visiting. Do they test too or just stick to repairs?

Thanks again,
Ken

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I went to a place on South Buckley road in Aurora in 2003. Even though I was obviously de-smogged, he didn't care and passed me as long as the computer said I was within limits.