• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Parking Brake Drum Machining

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could take my 1972 FJ40 Parking Brake Drum to be machined? Thanks!

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Well, the problem I can see is what shop has the tools to align the drum properly to turn. With Drum brakes, it usually uses the big hole to align the drum, the spindle is pretty big, and most times unless the guy that is doing the Job is really attentive, the alignment is Off. Then the cutter has to be small enough to reach in and not have the spindle interfere with the cutter. the drum may be too small.

These days, some Napa do the drum brake turning(Boulder, Lafayette), In Longmont, it is the Mountain Truck shop on Main street, south of 119th.

You may be better off getting a new one, I did last year for a project. Either Cruiser outfitters, or Spector offroad. Do not currently remember.
If neither carry what you need. Check with Cruiser Brothers. They may have what you need.

Thanks for the suggestions and offer to help!!! I tried NAPA in Broomfield and Brakes Plus in Louisville and both said their brake turning machines couldn't do the job given how small the drum is. So, I was in Loveland visiting a classic auto restoration friend and he suggested Advantage Automotive. They looked at the drum and brought out a cone adapter that appeared to fit. Picked up the machined drum yesterday and it looks to be great. Hopefully it's still balanced and should be good for another 50 years.