One Solar Electric System (some assembly required)

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I just got back from a quick road trip. Ran down to Flagstaff to pick up the components for my solar system. Kind of amazing how little space a system this big takes up. There's literally one medium sized box, and a couple cables inside the cab of the truck--and that's a complete system.

IMG_4439.jpeg

So what's in the boxes?
Panels: 16 365 Watt REC panels.
Inverter: Sol-Ark 12K (I think of it much more as an 8Kw Inverter, that can touch 12K for a bit if needed)
Battery: Fortress Power eVault Max 18.5KWh Lithium Iron Phosphate
Cables: MC4 panel connectors (2 strings), and 4/0 battery cables

That's it. Pretty crazy compared to the systems that went to my folks' place ~20 years ago. Lots of components, and they all had compatibility issues with each other.

I'm not real sure how easy these are to work with if you don't have some lifting equipment. The battery is a single unit, and in the crate weighs around 600 pounds. Most contractors probably have a skid steer with forks, so these would be pretty easy with that. I don't have forks that fit my Track Loader, but it can handle this kind of weight with ease.
IMG_4444.jpeg

Inside the utility shed, a picture of the whole system, to show it's physical size. I'm pretty amazed at how compact this stuff is. It's really about 30 inches square, and about 3 1/2 feet tall. The inverter mounts on a wall, about 2 feet by 3 feet, and maybe 18" deep. About the size of a large breaker box.
IMG_4449.jpeg

The panel array will go onto an MT Solar top of pole mount, but that's probably got to wait a couple months because it needs a nearly 6' deep foundation, and that means a big machine to dig in the rock. And that means I can't have ice on the road to get a machine like that up the road.

I'll try to update this whenever I get stuff up and running.

Dan