• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

old cast iron

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Just found it on the Bayou Classic website. That's a cool pot! They have a bunch of cast iron but most of it is sold out.

Thanks. The hardware store had an amazing selection of cast iron skillets, pots, pans, grills, etc....never seen such things and most were designed for southern/creole cooking. I found several deep "bean" cast iron pots in a number of antique stores we went in for around $90. All probably well over 50-75 years old and was going to buy one when I ran across this one. I paid $75 plus $25 shipping so it should show-up this week.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
It`s not cookware, but its Old Cast Iron:

Just picked up this old wood stove for free. After I finish rebuilding it, I`ll be using some cast iron to try some cooking (and heating) with it. ;)

i-z3zkHTL-L.jpg

I installed a chimney and did some masonry on my 4 season porch. In the process of tearing it apart and re-sealing the stove. Fun project!

i-KGv9sJk-L.jpg

Hoping to have it up and running by thanksgiving!

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Rad!
Cast iron and Fire
Both on this and every year’s list of my favorite things
Smokin job on that stove Martin!

9CE0C88C-23A1-492B-BAC2-F5CE5D488D9D.jpeg

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Found another great use for the cast iron Gumbo Pot on a cold, cloudy and rainy day.......Fried up some Fish (cod) and Chips with mushy peas......and, napped for the rest of the day.

27A550DF-5326-4264-AB41-F994F3FCDDE2.jpeg
D97A5725-B1BF-41AF-AE68-C6204748F9BF.jpeg
18257C13-559E-48E9-A14E-2047B6DB4D5E.jpeg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
That's crazy! 800 dollars. I recently found a nice lodge 12 inch in the dumpster at work. Cleaned up great! 🍳

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I got after it this weekend with some old pans I picked up in the past year. Lye bath for a few days and then a bit of time in the vinegar tank for neutralizing and rust removal.

Wagner 8 probably 1950's. Before:

IMG_2476 copy.jpgIMG_2477 copy.jpg
IMG_2475 copy.jpg

After

IMG_2485 copy.jpg

IMG_2493 copy.jpg

And then this old 3 notch Lodge pan from the 40's or 50's. Didn't get any before pics but it cleaned up really nicely and now shows off a ton of scars in the pan. A bit more seasoning and it'll be just fine, although true to form even the old Lodge's are heavy compared to similar sized cast iron.

IMG_2489 copy.jpg

IMG_2494 copy.jpg

I've got a couple more pans soaking right now so we'll see how they come out in a few days.

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Awesome work! I could totally use your services to help bring back a couple of mine!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
The lye bath is empty if anyone wants to drop their pan(s) off for a dip.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I can no longer find anything at estate sales or garage sales

Those are sweet finds and awesome outcomes Matt!!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@Inukshuk - the one with "mse" is I think Martha Stewart Everyday. Might be fine cookware but not something collectible necessarily.

The other is what's known as an unmarked skillet so it's difficult to say with certainty but it might be a 1960s house brand (like you'd have found sold by Sears under their name, for example) made by Wagner.

The "MADE IN USA" and "9 INCH SKILLET" are typical anyway and the shape and quality look like Wagner-made. Having the "T" instead of a number is odd though. In any case that would be worthwhile keeping IMO. If it was in my grubby hands I'd clean it up and use it fer sure.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+