• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

oil pan/carb question

subzali

Hard Core 4+
when removing the oil pan with the engine in the truck, the back lip is getting stuck on something...how do I get the oil pan off? Is it the tranny it's getting stuck on?

if the secondary butterfly opens with similar resistance as the primary, does that mean it's okay and I don't have to disassemble it and clean it? Treeroot I think you know what I'm talking about, we had this discussion about filing the screw heads etc.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
when removing the oil pan with the engine in the truck, the back lip is getting stuck on something...how do I get the oil pan off? Is it the tranny it's getting stuck on?

Might be the clutch cover. :confused:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
There is a small cover at the back that helps when you remove it, like Chris said. Is the pan loose? Remember the oil pump dealy is also sticking down inside it pretty far, close to the drain plug.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
yeah some kind of cover...29 bolts in all got the oil pan off - what a pain. But at least most of the cork gasket came off with the pan too, just a wee little bit of stuff to take off the block. Bottom of the pistons look okay, not really sure what I'm looking for and it's kinda tight down there :confused: . Gonna put it back together as soon as I get a new gasket.

Any opinions on the carb?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Sorry, I'm a bit of a carbocile.. I'll bump you to the top though! :)

And FJ Ben probably still has a pan gasket FS, he & I never did hook up last fall.. I was only going to get it in case someone needed one. and now you do!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I think I've got an extra cork pan gasket, too.

wesintl

RS Moderator
yeah some kind of cover...29 bolts in all got the oil pan off - what a pain. But at least most of the cork gasket came off with the pan too, just a wee little bit of stuff to take off the block. Bottom of the pistons look okay, not really sure what I'm looking for and it's kinda tight down there :confused: . Gonna put it back together as soon as I get a new gasket.

do you have good oil pressure? you could at least plasti gauge the rod bearings.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
oil pressure is pretty good, that much I'm thankful for...at leats it's better than in my dad's 80 :eek:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
In most cases the secondaries are frozen shut and won't move at all. If yours moves you should be fine. If you wanted to you could remove the shaft from the baseplate and make sure it isn't damaged or rusted. If you do, you will need to find new screws though. The ones that hold the butterfly on usually break off even after you file the backside of the screw. The factory intentionally damages the threads so the screw won't end up in the engine.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sweet, thanks Rootster, that's what I thought. I think I'm just going to leave it and when I put it back together make sure my linkage is together properly - I have a feeling it isn't.

So just for fun check out one of my typical intake valves.
And next check out one of my exhaust valves. Sorry for the bad pics, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• HPIM2159.jpg
    HPIM2159.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 195
  • HPIM2160.jpg
    HPIM2160.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 186

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Your motor thanks you!!!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oh forgot to mention that my valves that had the spring pieces stuck in them didn't even look like anything had happened - all the carbon was cleaned off too! :D There were probably really small indentations, and since the whole thing needs to be cleaned up I'm taking it to a shop today to get it done. I'm going to pay a little more attention to my engine from now on! :brick: :birf: :flamingo:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I just want my truck running again :(

Thanks Tim, but a 2F-E is a little too ambitious a project for me considering the current circumstances. I need to give my dad's truck back to him. I'm still debating a "Gertrude" style buildup for the future - 210+ hp is enviable - or doing a head swap at some point, but for now a valve job is good enough for me.