• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Official Synthetic Winch line Splicing Thread

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Looks like I'm going to be needing to get a soft eye spliced into the end of my winch line here soon. I got one of these winch pucks.
superline-xd-soft-eye-3__53521.1636686584.1280.1280.jpg

I've got 3/8" line on my winch. I guess usually people have to pull their line completely to do a Brummel Loop but I did also run across this from Yankum on how to do that splice without pulling your line off.

Looks like you absolutely need a fid to do this method though, anyone got a properly sized fid and want to help me do this?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Also open to a full bury with locking stitch since that does retain 100% MBS.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
That video is a McDonald - Brummel lock. The "McDonald" part is not having a free tail (the end on the drum). Method pictured is a bit different than I have seen before and seems to work nicely. https://www.animatedknots.com/mcdonald-brummel-splice-knot

As long as you are not using a thimble, it works fine.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but just confirming to all readers: The tail bury is what provides splice strength in all 12 strand synthetic splices. The "lock" mechanism, whether a Brummel or stitch, is to keep the tail from creeping out of the bury under slack conditions.

All this said, in my lines I have mostly used soft eyes with removable abrasion guards and deep bury's lock stitched. I have a new preference for Brummel / McDonald - Brummel after a few lock stitches getting torn. Easy to fix though. My new locking thread is now also dyneema.

Anyway, your master pull line shown looks to be "double braid". That outer sheath is totally spliceable but adds a level of complexity.

Regarding the "puck", why do you need a new loop?

1703204781029.jpeg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
That video is a McDonald - Brummel lock. The "McDonald" part is not having a free tail (the end on the drum). Method pictured is a bit different than I have seen before and seems to work nicely. https://www.animatedknots.com/mcdonald-brummel-splice-knot

As long as you are not using a thimble, it works fine.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but just confirming to all readers: The tail bury is what provides splice strength in all 12 strand synthetic splices. The "lock" mechanism, whether a Brummel or stitch, is to keep the tail from creeping out of the bury under slack conditions.

All this said, in my lines I have mostly used soft eyes with removable abrasion guards and deep bury's lock stitched. I have a new preference for Brummel / McDonald - Brummel after a few lock stitches getting torn. Easy to fix though. My new locking thread is now also dyneema.

Anyway, your master pull line shown looks to be "double braid". That outer sheath is totally spliceable but adds a level of complexity.

Regarding the "puck", why do you need a new loop?

View attachment 124684
I don't have have a master pull line, just the regular 3/8ths line that came on my winch. I just want to install the puck and get rid of some metal in the system.