• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

OEM reman vs new CV

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So I'm buying a CV axle for reasons (split open boot, time to get a spare axle rotation going). Both new and re-manufactured are on backorder. :doh:

Since I had to pay up front to get the order into the system and won't know how long the backorder might be until probably Monday I went cheap with the reman. List prices comparison, reman is about $170 plus $70 core vs new is about $550.

Am I making a mistake? Has anyone had issues with the factory reman axles? Will keep and reboot my old one, so the total end cost to me includes the core charge.

It's probably too late anyway but I might be able to swing by the dealer and change the order still today, if anyone says it matters.

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So I'm buying a CV axle for reasons (split open boot, time to get a spare axle rotation going). Both new and re-manufactured are on backorder. :doh:

Since I had to pay up front to get the order into the system and won't know how long the backorder might be until probably Monday I went cheap with the reman. List prices comparison, reman is about $170 plus $70 core vs new is about $550.

Am I making a mistake? Has anyone had issues with the factory reman axles? Will keep and reboot my old one, so the total end cost to me includes the core charge.

It's probably too late anyway but I might be able to swing by the dealer and change the order still today, if anyone says it matters.
Toyota reman 100 series CV’s are garbage.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

I try to snag OE units from EBAY and reboot them (if they even need it). I always ask if the pictured unit is the one I’m purchasing, that way I know I’m getting a used OE rig. Usually pretty cheap even with shipping.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Not Toyota but, I've had terrible experience with non-OEM on my GMC. I popped a passenger side oem one after 24 years and 200k miles of service. The shop replaced bothsides with NAPA (CRAPA) premium/good/platinum/unicorn/life time warranty.......whatever......HD/best of best ones and now had to replace them twice due to the boots failing and ripping open.

Next time they go I'll just buy the GMC part. BTW, the NAPA parts guys know this but keep selling them a "as good, if not better then OEM" BS.
Goodluck.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Should make clear what I'm asking about is between the brand new OEM CV axle and the value line reman that Toyota dealers sell, not generic aftermarket remanufactured.

I was able to preempt the order and they're going to put the order in for both new and reman to see what Toyota says for fulfillment ETA. So I might actually get to choose depending on what might be available from production allocation. It sounds interesting that despite the suppliers obviously making new parts for current production that is no guarantee Toyota will release some into the repair parts channel. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, from what I've been able to determine from Interwebz sources is that the reman part Toyota sells is probably similar to what NAPA sells and may even be the same source (Cardone in Mexico). If photos are accurate I think the reman (dealer or NAPA) is probably alright. They at least do seem to use OEM axles and boots.

I'd be very surprised if Toyota would sell a reman that wasn't at least theirs originally, so if all they do is clean and reboot with OEM parts that's probably worth one-and-a-half Benjamins (the boot kit, if it wasn't also on backorder, is $60 alone). There's two visual distinctions on non-OEM, one the end stub length is shorter and the lack of SST removal grooves on the inner tulip. Only OEM axles look like that and if they were going to counterfeit remans you'd think they would at least sell them new like that, which they don't. Now they may use inferior bearings when they rebuild, if they do in fact even replace "wear" items that aren't broken. But at least the CV joint shells and stubs should be OEM. If not the whole thing just coming with very little value added over DIY.

NAPA sells a new CV axle with a lifetime warranty which seems to be pretty much on par for the aftermarket in terms of junkiness. But I suspect the reman NAPA (which is also out of stock, perhaps lending credibility to the NAPA == Toyota Value Line) is probably in that middle grey area.

Obviously new OEM is the best way, I was just hoping factory reman would be an option. I've used reman dealer parts, a starter and an alternator on the old truck. Both were fine, so I dunno.

Last edited:

Burt88

Trail Ready
I needed some quickly for my LX470 and got them from Cruiser Outfitters. There's a chance they have Toyota remanufactured sitting on the shelf.

If my truck were stock and just used on the highway I'd be fine with aftermarket off the shelf and know that they're not gonna last more than a couple years. But I abuse my truck pretty harshly. Also, the PO had an unmatched set installed at some time. Remanufactured was my only option from Toyota. I looked into RCV but the cost was far too high to even consider. If it's only your boots and the CVs are stock and have no other significant wear I'd consider rebuilding them.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The 100 series remans use and aftermarket outer and aftermarket boots. Not only do they not hold up, but the boots are quite a lot larger and tend to rub on the tierod if memory serves. That info is about 8-10 months old, so maybe something has changed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If it's only your boots and the CVs are stock and have no other significant wear I'd consider rebuilding them.
Oh yeah, I'm going to rebuild mine (also waiting for a boot kit). This exercise is to try and get a 3rd axle in parallel to have a spare on hand hopefully so that in the future I'm not left out cold again (literally, it was cold this morning and I'm watching a cloudy sky close for the ride home on the bike). There's also a possibility that Toyota will ask for a core charge on the *new* axle to encourage people to put axles into the reman channel. I won't know more about backorder ETA and costs until Monday or Tuesday.

Stepmurr

Wincher
Oh yeah, I'm going to rebuild mine (also waiting for a boot kit). This exercise is to try and get a 3rd axle in parallel to have a spare on hand hopefully so that in the future I'm not left out cold again (literally, it was cold this morning and I'm watching a cloudy sky close for the ride home on the bike). There's also a possibility that Toyota will ask for a core charge on the *new* axle to encourage people to put axles into the reman channel. I won't know more about backorder ETA and costs until Monday or Tuesday.
Are you looking for a 100 series or a Taco axle?

Taco owners with unlimited funds seem to like going orange:

TOYOTA TACOMA/FJ CRUISER/4RUNNER RCV AXLE SET​