• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

'Nother project - brake booster

subzali

Hard Core 4+
easy sneezy, fixed half my problems :) :(

As some of you may know I was complaining about a hissing sound as I depressed my brake pedal. Some attributed it to the brake booster, and after reading how other serious problems could occur from a dead booster I took a quick trip to the Yota Yard to use up some of my credit. Found out they have a handful of 60s, two pigs and about half a 40, so not just minitrucks anymore. Got a booster from a '82 FJ60, and a couple hours later (including the drive home and dinner) it was in. Four nuts to lossen carb to move it enough to get old booster out, disconnect fuel lines, four nuts to take master cylinder off, and four nuts to take booster off of firewall, plus a cotter pin from the brake pedal. Pop in new one and good to go (almost). The shaft that connects to the brake pedal was too long, as usual, so we had to buzz about 1/4 inch off the end of that and then it was perfect. Had to give the m/c a little push to bend the brake lines enough to get the nuts re-threaded, and the heat shield had to be trimmed, but that was simple.

Attachments

• mc disconnected.jpg
    mc disconnected.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 259
  • inside firewall.jpg
    inside firewall.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 275
  • old booster.jpg
    old booster.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 82 FJ60 booster.jpg
    82 FJ60 booster.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 268
  • trimming heat shield.jpg
    trimming heat shield.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 269

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So now the brakes don't hiss when you depress them, which is good. But the brakes still have what my dad says feels like blowby on the master cylinder. Since I've never driven a vehicle with that particular problem I wouldn't know, so the next step is to get a new m/c if it's cheaper than a rebuild kit right? The search function isn't working right now so I can't see what everybody has suggested on what to do there. But I think I might have a line on a good m/c so I'll check that out.