• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

north fruita desert rules

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Colorado’s North Fruita Desert Supplementary Rules Available for Comment

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Grand Junction Field Office, is publishing proposed supplementary rules regulating the conduct of certain activities on all public lands within Colorado’s North Fruita Desert Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA). These proposed supplementary rules notify the public that certain activities are no longer allowed in the North Fruita Desert, and include, but are not limited to the following: Prohibition of fires outside of designated fire rings within the designated campground in the bicycle emphasis area, required use of fire pans outside of the mountain bike emphasis area, prohibition of discharge of dangerous weapons within the mountain bike emphasis area, prohibition of camping outside of designated camping sites within the mountain bike emphasis area, limiting all motorized and mechanized vehicle travel within the area to designated routes, the seasonal closure of certain routes, prohibition of possession or use of firewood containing nails or other metal hardware, and the prohibition on shooting any glass objects. The proposed supplementary rules can be read in their entirety here: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2005/July/Day-28/i14946.htm.

Comments on the proposed supplementary rules must be received or postmarked by August 29, 2005, to be assured consideration. In developing final supplementary rules, BLM may not consider comments postmarked or received in person or by electronic mail after this date. Comments can be emailed to: Britta_Laub@co.blm.gov or mail to: Bureau of Land Management, Grand Junction Field Office, 2815 H Road, Grand Junction, CO 81506.

For further information, please contact:
Britta Laub
Supervisory Outdoor Recreation Planner
(970) 244-3000

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
nuclearlemon said:
prohibition of discharge of dangerous weapons
LOL! Picturing Rachel with Bill's competition rifle. Guess we have to leave our RPG launchers at home?

Seriously though, there are a lot of yahoos out there who have helped make life tough for those of us who respect our environment. It's one thing to shoot cans and quite another to shoot glass bottles.

Semi-related note: There's a beautiful coyote who's been visiting my yard over the last day or so. Tried to photograph him earlier this evening and the batteries in my camera didn't have enough juice :-(

I now know why I haven't seen deer or elk in my backyard for the last several days.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
HIJACKED,

Originally Posted by Rzeppa
Semi-related note: There's a beautiful coyote who's been visiting my yard over the last day or so. Tried to photograph him earlier this evening and the batteries in my camera didn't have enough juice :-(

Brant(whom we have been dealing with from the fores service for Argentine Pass), was showing me Sunday morning some of his pics he took with his new setup. Gues it uses a infared system. Had a few good shots from elk walking through his yard(even got a good one of a bird in mid flight). He lives in Evergreen.... Havent come across a Coyote yet though. I do hear them all the time though out the valley at the cabin at night(way cool).

THREAD UN-HIJACKED........

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
bh4rnnr said:
Had a few good shots from elk walking through his yard(even got a good one of a bird in mid flight). He lives in Evergreen....

Yeah, I know he's nearby, we've had some good chats about the neighborhood and how it's changed. One of the things that's changed is the proliferation of elk and deer. One of the reasons is the lack of natural predators, such as coyote, so it was a thrill to see this one. I've seen him three times in my yard over the last day or two...oddly enough I haven't seen any elk or deer in my yard over the last day or two....hmmmm

Here is what my yard looks like when there aren't any coyotes around:

Attachments

• 03Deer07-16-04.JPG
    03Deer07-16-04.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,028
  • elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4,241
  • 0504140033.JPG
    0504140033.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 3,784

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Jeff, I would be very concerned about drinking the water up there. Well, I guess you're safe until your eyes start that glow-in-the-dark thing like those deer there...

LOL! Picturing Rachel with Bill's competition rifle.
Nonono... that ban is only for DANGEROUS weapons. That little .223 is perfectly safe.

But seriously, reminds me about all the shrill stuff about 'high-powered' rifles. So show me a low-powered one. What would that be, a .22? Perhaps the most dangerous round out there? Flies a mile or more, enters your skull and pings around in there pithing your brain instead of doing a through-and-through? Yeah right.

I wonder how they expect hunters to hunt the area then?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
Jeff, I would be very concerned about drinking the water up there. Well, I guess you're safe until your eyes start that glow-in-the-dark thing like those deer there...
LOL! One thing I hate about my digital camera is the stupid automatic settings. My 35mm is in the garage on a tripod for photographing my resto project.

Red_Chili said:
Nonono... that ban is only for DANGEROUS weapons. That little .223 is perfectly safe.

But seriously, reminds me about all the shrill stuff about 'high-powered' rifles. So show me a low-powered one. What would that be, a .22? Perhaps the most dangerous round out there? Flies a mile or more, enters your skull and pings around in there pithing your brain instead of doing a through-and-through? Yeah right.

I wonder how they expect hunters to hunt the area then?
Isn't a military M-16 about a .22 caliber round? Actually, I remember back in WVa we used to hunt with "punkin balls" (rifled slugs) in our shotguns. It was a while ago, but I seem to recall they were all you could use in certain areas because they didn't go as far as regular rifle rounds.

Anyway, you now see my wildlife problem. Okay, it's not a HUGE problem, 'cause they are pretty neat to watch up close and personal, but my point about the coyote is that the reason there are so much game around is a lack of natural predators. They've all been hunted, trapped and run off to where DOW says Colorado has about 50% too many elk for the entire state! Who knows how many deer are overpopulating.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That's some tall grass, dude.

So Jeff, do people mow their lawns up where you live?;)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
So Jeff, do people mow their lawns up where you live?;)
Yeah, some do but not everyone. Thank goodness my neighborhood doesn't have covenants or I'd be screwed. After my kids grew up and moved out I don't have a reason for a manicured lawn anymore. When they were little it was a big deal to me, to give them a place to play and and run around. Now, I save on water and have more quality garage time ;-)