• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Noobs Run 7/31/2022

Roketdriver

Rock Stacker
I’ll get a bit of a rig count, but there’s to reason that one couldn’t hop in a passenger seat if we go a bit over.
I've run this trail a bunch of times, I don't mind riding shotgun and it would free me up to take photos or make a video.

that_baker_guy

Brand New
The wife and I have adjusted our travel plans to be there!

We are just generally interested in trail etiquette, choosing a line, trail basics as mentioned in the OP.

We are planning to camp in the area Sunday evening after the run; any recommendations on local campgrounds?

Roketdriver

Rock Stacker
The wife and I have adjusted our travel plans to be there!

We are just generally interested in trail etiquette, choosing a line, trail basics as mentioned in the OP.

We are planning to camp in the area Sunday evening after the run; any recommendations on local campgrounds?
There are some campsites along the trail that are usually open Sunday night. Be sure to bring plenty of bug spray, it's been a wet week and the mosquitoes are out in force.

Canonyero

Rock Stacker
Alright guys, it’s getting close. Feel free to post up anything you’d specifically like to discuss.

I’ll get a bit of a rig count, but there’s to reason that one couldn’t hop in a passenger seat if we go a bit over.

Cheers!
Im in a manual so looking for any extra info that is specific to that!

NJOILFE

Brand New
Im in a manual so looking for any extra info that is specific to that!
Woo! See you guys in the morning!

Canyonero I also drive stick, I recommend trying to keep the engine running (as opposed to stalling ;), keep the momentum up to minimize clutch feathering / heating and extra bouncing when possible, and eventually starting to get a feel for how close to idle you can let the rpm’s drop and still loft over obstacles. So if you come up to a rock say on the driver’s side, ideally you want to slow down to just above idle rpm and try to smoothly roll over the rock without stalling from going too slow or crunching your vehicle in the rock by going too fast. Also going too slow and needing to hit the brake and clutch can make for a bumpier situation where on a bigger obstacle you may have more of a chance of crunching your purrdy Japanese vehicle on these gorgeous Rocky Mountain boulders.

So basically try to be smooth with the accelerator and go over the obstacle as slowly and smoothly as you can. The bigger the rock, the more this matters. Little rocks, gravel, dirt and pavement, you do you, amigo. Just don’t send rocks into my windshield please :D

I’ll be in the electric lime taco, we can roll together for a section or two if you’d like either during a team chill sesh or at the end of the run. Either way I’m sure you’ll have fun and we’ll see if we can’t keep your tires on, your body panels and undercarriage intact and your fluids where you want them

FJNos

Unfortunately, I have to drop out. My wife got pulled into a work event, so I'll be home with the kids.

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately I have to bow out tomorrow 🙁 Hope it’s a great run!

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Jackson for a great day of wheeling and learning! Thanks to the other people on the run. It was fun having a variety of vehicles on the run as well.

Took a bit of cleaning to get that black mud out of all the bits and pieces on the underside of the 4Runner this morning. That is some really special stuff.

Canonyero

Rock Stacker
Thanks Jackson for a great day of wheeling and learning! Thanks to the other people on the run. It was fun having a variety of vehicles on the run as well.

Took a bit of cleaning to get that black mud out of all the bits and pieces on the underside of the 4Runner this morning. That is some really special stuff.
Yes @jps8460 thanks for an awesome day of learning. I really appreciated your advice and most importantly your patience!!!

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Great group! That was a lot of fun. Glad you got something out of it :)

Roketdriver

Rock Stacker
I had a great time tagging along and taking photos, really cool group of people and rigs. Got to run one of my favorite trails and learned a few new things (y)

IMGP2018.jpg

IMGP2145.jpg

IMGP2456.jpg

IMGP2544.jpg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yes @jps8460 thanks for an awesome day of learning. I really appreciated your advice and most importantly your patience!!!
Is this Kaity (spelling?)? White manual 4runner?

If so, you did a fantastic job! Seeing you absorb and apply what we were discussing was very rewarding, thanks for being open and coachable, I know I picked on you a lot :).

Cheers!

Canonyero

Rock Stacker
Is this Kaity (spelling?)? White manual 4runner?

If so, you did a fantastic job! Seeing you absorb and apply what we were discussing was very rewarding, thanks for being open and coachable, I know I picked on you a lot :).

Cheers!
Yep that’s me!