• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Noobs Run 7/31/2022

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hi All,

It’s time for another noobs run on Slaughterhouse Gulch

I’m going to cap this at 10rigs plus mine

HAM 147.420
Handheld gmr/frs 15

Meetup - 8:00 am -Loaf n Jug - 173 Bulldogger Rd, Bailey, CO 80421
Airing back up by 3:30p

days agenda - 8:30am at the trail head.

-intro to driving and 4 wheeling - maps/TREAD
-basic mechanicals and vehicle 360
-intro to the wiz bang buttons
-driving/coaching MTS/Atrac/lockers

This will be a fairly long and slow going day. Bring lunch, snacks, and a camp chair.

Bring rain gear just in case.

Bring out your gear and let’s talk about it.

Stock rigs are welcome

Feel free to post up anything you’d like to discuss on Sunday!

If you’re interested in learning more about Tread Lightly, they have a free 45min online course that is super informative.

Last edited:

FJNos

I've been meaning to come to one of these, and I think I should actually be able to make it for once! Since I have a manual transmission I'd be interested in more specific driving technique around that, including proper use of moving the truck with the starter via the clutch start cancel switch.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I did a noobs run 2 years ago and I really enjoyed it. I have a friend who just purchased a 100 Series but the 100 will be in the shop to get some work done next week. It may not be available so if possible I would like to join and bring him along. I don't want to take a spot so I will only join if there is space, Thx Jackson!

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
FRS/GMRS channel 12 is capped at .5W . That is a lower power channel. Probably best to move it to 1-7 or 15-22.

1657892813435.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My first choice is always FRS channels 15-22.

that_baker_guy

Brand New
Hey All,

I came across this thread while looking for group rides in CO. My wife and I are planning a trip that week in July (coming from Mississippi) to visit some family friends around Pueblo.

I was wondering if ya'll would allow us to join in on the noob ride? We would hate to take a spot from a local club member but if there was an opening we would love to join. I know how folks feel about the tourists.

We are fairly inexperienced when it comes to real trail riding but no stranger to the outdoors and octane fuel'd fun. Also licensed as a General class HAM (KG5EIK).

We did Medano Pass in the Sangre's in the summer of 2020 and caught the trail riding bug. Was hoping to join in and learn something from the locals.

We are planning to do Tincup later on in the week on our own.

Rig:

15' 4Runner Trail, ~2.5" lift, 285 Ridge grapplers. Plenty of stickers for the HP gains.

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Hey All,

I came across this thread while looking for group rides in CO. My wife and I are planning a trip that week in July (coming from Mississippi) to visit some family friends around Pueblo.

I was wondering if ya'll would allow us to join in on the noob ride? We would hate to take a spot from a local club member but if there was an opening we would love to join. I know how folks feel about the tourists.

We are fairly inexperienced when it comes to real trail riding but no stranger to the outdoors and octane fuel'd fun. Also licensed as a General class HAM (KG5EIK).

We did Medano Pass in the Sangre's in the summer of 2020 and caught the trail riding bug. Was hoping to join in and learn something from the locals.

We are planning to do Tincup later on in the week on our own.

Rig:

15' 4Runner Trail, ~2.5" lift, 285 Ridge grapplers. Plenty of stickers for the HP gains.

Thanks,

Josh
I love everything about this! I hope you make it on. Coming from Ohio, there was a lot of edicate and way of thinking that I was not aware of. In my opinion, having you on this run helps to promote more ideals than I could list.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I haven't had very much trail experience and honestly, I really have no idea what I'm doing out there on my own. I know I've picked up some really bad trail habits over the years that definitely need correcting. Is this trail ok for a mostly stock 1st gen Tacoma?

Also, I have a friend who is also on this forum, @Squishy! , and he hasn't been wheeling in like 10 years now. So I know he could DEFINITELY use a refresher course. But he's only got a mostly stock 1st gen 4-runner.

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
I recommended this run to a friend with a new-to-him Sequoia. The header says 7/31, but your post mentions Saturday. Might be a bit confusing.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I recommended this run to a friend with a new-to-him Sequoia. The header says 7/31, but your post mentions Saturday. Might be a bit confusing.
Thanks! It was a copy paste, we usually do it on a Saturday. It now says Sunday.

NJOILFE

Brand New
Hi there!

First post to the forum, hoping to potentially join the club or at least meet you guys out there the end of the month. Do you have room for the be more nooby who doesn’t have a radio yet?

Thanks!

WWB

Roketdriver

Rock Stacker
I live a few minutes from the Slaughterhouse Trailhead, I'll probably be there if there's still spots open on Sunday.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hi there!

First post to the forum, hoping to potentially join the club or at least meet you guys out there the end of the month. Do you have room for the be more nooby who doesn’t have a radio yet?

Thanks!

WWB
Heck yea!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I haven't had very much trail experience and honestly, I really have no idea what I'm doing out there on my own. I know I've picked up some really bad trail habits over the years that definitely need correcting. Is this trail ok for a mostly stock 1st gen Tacoma?

Also, I have a friend who is also on this forum, @Squishy! , and he hasn't been wheeling in like 10 years now. So I know he could DEFINITELY use a refresher course. But he's only got a mostly stock 1st gen 4-runner.
@TheHoneyBadger see trip planning thread for Boobs Run 7/31/2022. That's the one you want. LongCruiser goes on that one.

(I'm using the word Boob properly here. Look it up.)

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
@TheHoneyBadger see trip planning thread for Boobs Run 7/31/2022. That's the one you want. LongCruiser goes on that one.

(I'm using the word Boob properly here. Look it up.)
Ah yes. I got these two mixed up. That's the run I need to attend, most definitely. :ROFLMAO:

N8R

Rising Sun Member
Looks like we are finally in town and available to do one of these runs. Count Nate and Tracy in with our stock '06 V6 4Runner.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Alright guys, it’s getting close. Feel free to post up anything you’d specifically like to discuss.

I’ll get a bit of a rig count, but there’s to reason that one couldn’t hop in a passenger seat if we go a bit over.

Cheers!