non-winterized winter techniques

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
How often do you start your bikes during the winter? IOW, how long does it take gas in the carb to turn foul?

I fired up the fleet yesterday and took each around the block... I think it had been 3 weeks for each of them since they last ran. Not running any stabil or anything, and in the summer I'd let a bike sit for 3-4 weeks and not even think about it. Is winter any different? I was pleased that each of the 3 started under their own (battery) power, albeit just barely..

And man, if you ever want to think your KTM is fast, first take the little TTR around the neighborhood, then the XT.. then twist the KTM like you did the other two :eek: :D :moto:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
On my 4 carb street bike I just try to keep the fuel on the fresh side by putting it up with a low tank and then I'll fire it up and go fill up with fresh fuel, tool around a little to get it moving and then repeat. If I do that once sometime in October and again in March/April I get by without issues, I've gotten away with it for 10 winters or so. This bike is a 4cyl with about 14:1 compression and 4-carbs so I would expect you'll be fine with lower comp and modern junk.

If the bike is not getting enough attention I'll siphon it's fuel and use it in equipment or my old jeep so I can have room in the tank for fresh fuel when the bike gets a chance. I've never used stabil or similar.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
My concern is if the fuel will evaporate from the bowl in the carb leaving deposits behind. On my bike, I don't worry about it since I ride it at least once a month. On the DR650, I'll shut off the fuel and let it idle until it quits to use as much of the fuel in the bowl as possible before parking it. I haven't yet had an issue with fuel that has been sitting in the tank for several months.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Agree with draining the carb. Keep a full tank w/or without stabil and you're good till March/April. Put your batt on a battery tender and forget about it. :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool, so I may add the "run till she quits" method to my monthly procedure, and call it good. thanks folks!

daveIT

I keep the motor (me) well-lubed, usually nightly, with $cotch (lately bourbon) or beer. I run her (the Surly Long Haul Trucker) slow on the way in to work (to prevent sweaty balls) and balls to the walls on the way home (where I can shower w/o strange dudes.)

Can't wait to throw the $125/ea Nokian Extreme 294s studded tires on. I'm afraid they will dry rot since I don't run them 6 months out of the year like I did up in Anchorage!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i've done stabil on a low tank and run til it quits on four bikes and it's never been an issue. that includes two bikes in illinois, where they did sit for months at a time, sometimes outside all winter.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
The only issue with the little bikes is that they don't seem to get ridden enough to (nearly) empty the tank, and so I usually drain the tank completely dry at least once / year, and put that gas into the truck or lawn mower - then refill the bike with "clean" gas.